Can anyone help me identify this woodstove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

toto61

Jul 26, 2009
western ny
Insurance company wants company name and model, but I cant find on the unit.
Any ideas?
Thanks!

Attachments

• stove.jpg
    stove.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 443
That 70's show anyone? I agree with the previous post. You might as well have a fire in an old garbage can in the middle of the room. It would be just as efficient. Better off getting a new stove if you plan to use it. Otherwise, throw some paint on it, something like lime green and use it as a conversation piece

If a tag isn't on it you will never find out who made it. There were millions of those things sold in the sixties and seventies. In fact a company name Malm sells a version these days for upwards of $1,500. But that isn't one of them.

For what it is worth they are classified as a metal fireplace. Not a stove.

Thanks Guys!
Quick response!
I didnt think this thing would heat up the cabin, just add a little ambiance.
Any ideas on an efficient unit to replace it with?

Apollo 13? :lol: I had one of those in an apartment I lived in for a year and I only fired it a few times because it smoked so bad.

Webmaster said:
Sears distributed lots of these made by Preway - Montgomery Ward, also.

I'm sure they were UL approved back then, but they are the end of their design life anyway and not very efficient. Best to replace the unit and the chimney.

web's right , when they were built they were likely ul approved, however with the absence of a tag showing the unit was listed its no longer listed. install would likely have to meet or exceed nfpa 211 standard for unlisted fireplaces and even then the insurer might balk due to the missing information. an unlisted fireplace of that type could increase your insurance cost with little benefit from heat output. im with web, replace it.

Give it to your local Flood Disaster office.

Cut the bottom off, turn it upside down in a frame. Looks like it would make a swell sandbag filling funnel. Leave the damper in it as a valve.

i have i nice sweedish fireplace just like that sitting outside by our warehouses, we use it from time to time to warm our hands, about all its worth, great outdoor pallet burner!!
if i was inspecting it for an insurance or title co, it'd need 36" body to conbustibles, 18 from the pipe, or 12" to properly constructed non combustible wall

Status
Not open for further replies.