Can anyone help with info on Hawk wood stove NC that looks like a Buck 27000

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ty Grant

Feb 10, 2006
I just bought a wood stove from a friend that is a stove/ insert that was made in 1985 in NC. This stove looks like a buck 27000 but HAWK is on the damper handle and the owners manual that came with it is a buck stove manual,the pictures in the manual sure look just like this stove. But when I emailed Buck Stove Co. about the door gaskets they said that they knew nothing about a Hawk.This is a dark brown in color and the workmanship is top notch. My friend thought he bought it from a Buck dealer. Can anyone help me with this, I'm going to install and try it but would sure like to know what the deal is. Thanks Ty

Attachments

• IMGP0518.jpg
    IMGP0518.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 7,501
If my tired old memory is working, a company named Hunter made those things in the 70's and 80's. Like a few hundred other steel stove companies they have been long gone since the EPA clean burning regulations came around in 1990.

There should be a plate on the side or the back of it with UL certification and clearance to combustbles information. As far as door and glass gaskets any stove store will have the stuff either in kits or by the foot.

I have this same stove, pic attached and need the clearances to provide to my insurance company. I think I may have to have the thing moved because it's only 9" from the wall in the corner. I sent a PM to tygrant and am posting here in case other users may have this information. I will upload a picture as well. As always, any help would be super appreciated.

Thanks,

-Alan

Attachments

• hawke.jpg
    hawke.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 1,501
Look on the back of the stove to see if there are listed clearance requirements. Note that the single-wall pipe needs to be at least 18" from the nearest combustible as well.

The plate is so burned I can't read anything but the etched serial number. I'm wondering if the fake brick wallboard behind it is fire retardant. The floor piece definitely is.

Status
Not open for further replies.