Can anyone ID this stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lharnish

Feb 21, 2006
Dillsburg Pennsylvania
I am trying to ID this stove I had given to me and determine why it has an odd sized opening to com\nnect the pipe at the top and if it look s to be strickly wood or a wood / coal burner:

th_woodstove_open_2.jpg
th_woodstove_closed.jpg
th_woodstove_top.jpg
th_Pwoodstove_front_open.jpg

Thanks,

Lloyd

Looks like a Jotul knockoff - Scandia? Does it say made in Taiwan anywhere?

I agree with BeGreen that it's a knock-off of a Combifire. The doors are different.

That is a Taiwan knock off not UL approved in terrible condition. Check out what local salvage yards are paying for scrap iron.
Most communities require Ul labeling to be permitted If not labeled it can not be legally installed in USA or Canada
I want to be as polite as possible and let you know before you put a lot of work in trying to remove rust and painting gasketing ect.
These stoves were poorly cast, cheap junk ,that I consider death fire boxes. Probably not the most tactful way of putting it or not what you wanted to hear. As an inspector I would never issue a permit for its install. I take the position, that I am thinking of you and your family personal safety.

i had one of those 25 years ago. heated well. smoked up the neighborhood. looked like the house was on fire. i don't remember the company name but i do remember it was made in Taiwan

isn't kind of funny how those cheap stoves had a tag on the back of them. but even the tag was cheap and after a few fires you couldn't read them

I REALLY appreciate the feedback from everyone.

It was free so , nothing lost, nothing gained.
I was thinking of using it to heat a detached garage on cold days but sounds like I may not wanna do that after all, but I do like the idea of a deck fireplace/warmer as long as I put it on some masonry to keep the heat off the deck, I suppose.
I will still try to read the tag. It is true that it is there and you can read like the last three numbers of the serial or model number but the rest appears as if it was dragged across a sidwalk and does feel like aluminium or thin tin sheet metal.

Thanks again,

Lloyd

lharnish said:
... but I do like the idea of a deck fireplace/warmer as long as I put it on some masonry to keep the heat off the deck, I suppose.

If your deck is wood, you'll need an adequate heat shield. Ordinary masonry may not have enough R value to protect your deck. You may want to research contructing a hearth-type pad with enough cement board, metal, masonry, etc. to keep things safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.