Can anyone identify my stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

htchevyii

Dec 31, 2010
NorCal
Hi guys,
I'm new here and trying to find out more about the stove that came in my house. It appears to have a new seal on the door. The knob on the right closes two flaps to the flue? Am I supposed to close them after the fire is going to direct the heat thru the ceramic baffle? Would it be benifiecial to add a blower to the front, or is there room?
Sorry for all the questions, but thanks in advance for the help.
Trey
PICT0015.jpg

PICT0011.jpg

Welcome htchevyii,

I don't know, though the shape is mildly reminiscent of a Blaze King. I hope someone here can give you a more helpful answer.

But I can say that I really like that baby's look, what with the solidity and brass. Mine the threads and articles here, and you'll be getting the most out of her in no time.

Happy burning!

Thought it was an Avalon, but it is not. It looks like a modification to me. Maybe a stove without legs with a fabricated shroud?

Sen. John Blutarsky said:
Thought it was an Avalon, but it is not. It looks like a modification to me. Maybe a stove without legs with a fabricated shroud?

If it's a mod, it's nicely done!

I removed the shroud today and found a label, it seems the stove was built by Oregon Wood stoves Inc in 1987. P/N is OS/1. I didn't realize they had them that long ago, but it has a catalytic combustor that no doubdt needs replacement.

Sounds like you have a cat stove and new cats can be bought here (if needed): http://www.inandoutlifestyles.com/orwowostcaco.html .
I would reduce the air a bit after the fire is established and close the damper so the smoke goes through the cat or the ceramic substrate as you called it.. FYI, cat means catalytic cumbustor and will make that insert much more efficient and cleaner burning.. Nice looking insert!

Ray

PS: the cats for this stove are really inexpensive as seen here http://firecatcombustors.com/Catalog/cat-Oregon.htm ..

Status
Not open for further replies.