Can anyone identify this generic looking stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tickbitty

Minister of Fire
Feb 21, 2008
VA
I'm really looking for an insert, but this freestanding stove looks like a late model. I suppose it's probably one of the cheaper makes or brands like the ones sold at the big box hardware stores? Or does anyone recognize it?
http://richmond.craigslist.org/for/1424320380.html
I just thought that maybe if it's a regency or something it might be worth going for. If they really only used it a year I suppose that would not be a terrible price even for a cheap stove, but still...

Could be a CFM like my shop stove. When the guy sez "great shape", I think he's stretching it...looks like it could use some work. The handle on the ash drawer looks like it's been changed out for something different. Rick

Attachments

• shopstove.jpg
    shopstove.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 469
BTW, I wouldn't just dismiss all the stoves sold through the "big-box stores" as being somehow cheap or inferior. There are some really well built and good performing stoves available from those outlets. Talk to the Englander owners, for example. I bought my CFM in '07 off the floor at Lowe's, and I'm quite happy with it. Rick

Thanks! That does look similar. And I have nothing against the cheaper brands, but in the case of this one, for example, if that's a $650 stove with an "unknown" history, it's not as much of a great deal (at $450) than if that was a higher end stove. I agree it doesn't look so great in the pics, but was hoping it was just dirty and that they were being honest! Thought that might be an insignia down there on the pedestal that someone might recognize. This does look quite a bit like those CFM stoves (which I had to google!)
I may well end up with one of the more inexpensive EPA inserts if my craigslist searching does not yield something "special!"
Thanks much, you might have pegged this one.

fossil said:
Could be a CFM like my shop stove. When the guy sez "great shape", I think he's stretching it...looks like it could use some work. The handle on the ash drawer looks like it's been changed out for something different. Rick

But it has an exhaust pipe and floor mats. I think it might be a Chevy...

I doubt it's the same stove as mine, unless the guy's been smoking something before setting his asking price...just sayin' it could be a different (larger) model CFM or something. Can't be an Englander, because they put the door handles on the wrong side. :lol: Rick

fossil said:
I doubt it's the same stove as mine, unless the guy's been smoking something before setting his asking price...just sayin' it could be a different (larger) model CFM or something. Can't be an Englander, because they put the door handles on the wrong side. :lol: Rick

Englander puts them on the correct side for right handed people. It is the others that like to see users get burned.

N6CRV said:
fossil said:

Englander puts them on the correct side for right handed people. It is the others that like to see users get burned.

Amen brother. Amen.

Really check it out first.
For that price range (not including pipe/mat if you can even use all of it for your application) you should be able to find other candidates also, although those are good stoves.
May have been used for one long hard winter and stored outside for two more.

When I bought mine, the same one as Fossil's, I paid $242 out the door. Asking $450 for that stove used is a little pricey. Maybe it was used for a season a few years ago then left in the sun for the past two.

Matt

Thanks all of you for figuring this out. I think you are right and don't plan to pursue this one in that case, it's a bit of a drive from here and it does seem they have it priced too high. If I get one of those (or similar) I will be more likely to buy new and get an insert. Trying to find one (a lower priced insert) that sticks out of fireplace a bit more than the ones I have seen so far. (Have a thread going on here somewhere with more of those to explore.) But in the meantime before I find one I am still hitting craigslist and looking for a deal! It's amazing how many people put a description or pic of a stove with no name and yet expect to get big bucks for it - but more amazing still that you guys can figure them all out!

Status
Not open for further replies.