Can anyone identify this outside BBQ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakely1316

Mar 25, 2014
Winchester, MA
Hello I was hoping someone could help me identify what this is, when it's
from and how it's used. It has two sides that both have their own chimneys.
We just bought the house and it's falling apart. Wondering if we should
restore it, if it's worth doing?
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 143
Nothing much there to "identify", really. It's a completely homemade, one-of-a-kind piece of American folk art. The side with the grills was obviously used for cooking over a fire. The other side, I dunno...maybe wood storage? Rick

Nothing much there to "identify", really. It's a completely homemade, one-of-a-kind piece of American folk art. The side with the grills was obviously used for cooking over a fire. The other side, I dunno...maybe wood storage? Rick
Rick do you think its worth restoring or knock down and build new? It has two chimneys. Each side has its own so I wasn't sure what the flat side was for maybe a cook top for pans?

Yeah, I think you're right, considering two flues. Meant to have a fire in either side. What to do with it depends on just how sound it is deep inside, how much you like it, how skilled you are with the types of work involved in its restoration, and stuff like that. If it were me, I think my first inclination would be to abandon or demolish this and start over. It's not a piece of particularly impressive workmanship/talent...pretty amateurish stuff. Rick

It is home made as noted. My family is all masons, and my uncle has one very similar to that, with only one side for cooking.
You cook directly on the steel plate on top, or the grate on the other side Might want to clean it up first, or put tin foil over top.
They are nice for big get togethers. You can cook on it and also have foil containers on top to keep other hot/warm foods heated.
I would leave as is with the exception of replacing the cooking surfaces. No sense adding more work with an already decent structure.

That is sweet. And stone. Great for storing heat. I would try to save it some how.

id save it it doesn't look to be in very bad shape at all needs a little repointing and new grate that's all from what I can see.

Status
Not open for further replies.