1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Can anyone identify this plant??

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by Eatonpcat, Jul 3, 2012.

1. rdust

rdust Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    I was sure hoping you were joking as I was reading along! I almost got chills when I seen the picture of the ivy bush! ;lol

I haven't had it in a long time but when I get it my face fits your description perfectly. I always tell everyone I looked like the kid Rocky from Mask or my dad used to call me the elephant man. The time I got it that bad I was in a tree clearing a spot for a tree stand, hacking and wackin'! I now know a "little" better and do a decent job avoiding it. I've been finding myself around it a lot lately though which is a bit scary. _g

Dennis will tell you all about how I "freak" out when I see it. ;lol
    Eatonpcat likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. rdust

rdust Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    I like to use brake cleaner for cleaning up my tools. Cheap and cuts through the oil and grease well. You can buy specific PI cleaners like tecnu.
  3. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    I know it well from WV & PA as a kid. Sat in it once with shorts on.
    Bet you will never forget what it looks like now.
    Glad you're OK.
    Bio-suit for me when I get around it. I'm glad there's none in Alaska :)
  4. Eatonpcat

Eatonpcat Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio
    Seems to be everywhere I look on my property this year, Glad I finally know what it looks like!
  5. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    On the other hand you have plenty of cow parsnip and Devil's Club . . . which seem pretty nasty. ;)
  6. bogydave

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Got into both the last time I cut wood. We call it "pushki", it was a cloudy day so all was OK.
    Devils club got me a few times but the few thorns that got met, festered up in a few days & popped right out. We also have "stinging nettles".
    Poison Ivy, Snakes, ticks, chiggers , those are nasty things, Bears & mosquitoes are an irritant. :)
    Eatonpcat and firefighterjake like this.
  7. charly

charly Guest

Nasty stuff for sure. I worked around it 5 days a week when I was on a line clearance crew. I use to hate to unlace my climbing boots, figured they were covered in Ivy oil.
    Eatonpcat likes this.
  8. charly

charly Guest

I always wanted to get a tee shirt made , all white with the three leaves and underneath the leaves have it say "LET IT BE". Bet you'd get a lot of good stories once people saw the shirt!
  9. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    My arms are very minor, lower legs got the worst of it,especially when they start itching again every 5-7 hours.Looks like they were sprayed with hot oil.
  10. Eatonpcat

Eatonpcat Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio
    Sorry my friend...Remeber, don't scratch that itch!
  11. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Just another excellent reason for me to re-locate to Alaska! ;)

Can't even weed-wack around this place without getting it. :mad:
  12. bogydave

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    We have our down sides too ,with a few nasty plants, Long-dark-cold winters, mosquitoes & isolated from the lower 48.
    But "I'm knowing what you are digging".

Every time I think about moving south, (usually mid or late winter) when I weigh the pros & cons, the pros for staying here are still winning.
    This has been one of the cooler summers here, but I can handle it better than the heat.
  13. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

I love playing in the snow and I work 3rd shift so I'm ok with the dark. ;)

Not sure how I'm gonna like the skeeters but hey, that's life!
  14. HeatsTwice

HeatsTwice Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Santa Rosa, California
    Here in California, poisen oak is everywhere. When ever I score wood in the forest, I can't avoid contacting PO. Over the years, I have found the best solution is to wash thouroghly with mechanics hand degreaser. The big orange bottle which has pumice in it is very inexpensive. It turns out that PO oil has the viscosity of grease although its invisiable. Thats why it spreads so easily. Try putting some grease on your hand in the morning, it will be all over your body by night - to see what I mean.

Now I don't even think about entering PO patches knowing that I can get it all off with a shower and this stuff:

http://www.heavydutystore.com/fast-orange-hand-cleaner-c-766.html
    Eatonpcat likes this.