Can anyone name this Jotul?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drewmo

Feeling the Heat
Nov 20, 2006
Topsham, ME
My folks have used this Jotul stove for the last 17 years (it came with their house). It does a fantastic job of heating. They burn roughly 4 cords per year, and I would guess it provides 75 percent of their winter heat. I found what I believe is a date stamp on the inside of the door of 22/11-76, which I'm assuming makes it 30 yrs old. The only other info I could find stamped into the stove is this number: PEIS 1 DEL 10 KAT NR 101333. Also, made in Finland.

Does anyone know what model of stove it is? Although it heats incredibly well, is it all that efficient? (The old man is a seasoned wood burner, so he might have something to do with it's efficiency.) Would it meet EPA certification today? And, although they have no plans of replacing this stove, what new model would be comparable?

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a398/drewmo7/DSC04517.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a398/drewmo7/DSC04519.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a398/drewmo7/DSC04518.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a398/drewmo7/DSC04520.jpg

That is very similar to what we call the Jotul #1.....
It would not meet EPA today, but burned properly is a relatively clean stove.

Attachments

• identify.jpg
    identify.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 9,815
Look on the back of the stove for identification. There may be a metal plate identifying it.

EDIT: Peis = Fireplace in Norwegian, so this does appear to be a model 1.

I'd be a little concerned with that stove there is a crack in the door that is shown in the last picture with the engraved idenfication marks but it also shows threw the front side in picture 1 It has practically made it completely threw except the final inch or two near the bottom and top. So much so I thought I woild bting it to your attention it could crack completely the next hot fire but who knows it just a matter of time

elkimmeg said:
I'd be a little concerned with that stove there is a crack in the door that is shown in the last picture with the engraved idenfication marks but it also shows threw the front side in picture 1 It has practically made it completely threw except the final inch or two near the bottom and top. So much so I thought I woild bting it to your attention it could crack completely the next hot fire but who knows it just a matter of time

According to the old man, the crack has been there for several years now. He's not overly concerned, but has thought about a replacement. Any suggestions on what would be comparable sold in the USA? I did a quick search and couldn't find anything similar currently sold by Jotul. What are the chances of locating a new door for the unit?

There is nothing in USA to match that look. All new stoves sold have to be EPA certified. I think you would have a better selection design wise in Europe like a Moroso.

Parts you would have to find a used stove. I doubt Jotul stocks parts for 30+ year old stoves. then again if he got that much usage it owes him nothing as good as he thinks it is a modern stove will produce the same heat using atleast 1/3 less wood and burn much cleaner.

BTw thanks for your editing offer and I did use some of your ideas and format. I got a call from a local paper the other day that wants to do an interview and story about modern clean burning stoves. We did the installation but no media showed up. More time to shoot the breeze and enjoy a brew.

Woodmans does stock parts of older Jotuls - and that was a popular one...but better yet, you might be able to find the part at a dealer in Europe since freight would be less. I somewhat agree with the guy - that type of crack will probably not go any further. Some people say to drill a small hole at each end of the crack to keep it from going further, but I would just leave it and perhaps put some furnace cement on it from the inside each year.

Webmaster said:
That is very similar to what we call the Jotul #1.....
It would not meet EPA today, but burned properly is a relatively clean stove.

Oooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh I see a covet. I have wanted a 606 since my 20's. If I found one, or someone put me onto one, I'd switch the house to wood in a heart beat. Almost bought a French 19th Century stove of a similar design. They have to be the earliest of the secondary burn units I am aware of. Give me, give me, give me. Is my drool slicking the floor? What do you mean, settle down? I have a right even if I'm a pellet head. Right?

I have the exact stove, in perfect condition, without cracks, looks like it was manufactured in 1977. I need a new screen. Does anyone have any idea where I can get one?

You can try and give stove parts plus a call. 814-343-2555. Ask Colleen if they have any access to Jotul Combifire screens.

Could the crack be welded, ground smooth and then re-spray the door? If the burner really likes the stove and parts are scarce, is this not an option?

(I'm not trying to stir the pot here, I am trying to learn)

myzamboni said:
Could the crack be welded, ground smooth and then re-spray the door? If the burner really likes the stove and parts are scarce, is this not an option?

(I'm not trying to stir the pot here, I am trying to learn)

Possibly, though cast iron is a B***H to weld properly, requires special rods, pre-heating the metal, etc. otherwise it likes to crack again right along side the weld. It is not a job that would be cheap simply because the guys that can reliably weld cast are hard to find and charge dearly for their skills. Probably it would be cheaper to get a new door if one can be found.

Gooserider

I had a Jotul Combifire 4, pretty similar to that stove and I would have to agree that it is a great heater. Got hot in a hurry and could warm the house in a snap even in the coldest weather. Not great for long slow burns but I could get it through the night loaded correctly without smoldering it too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.