Can anyone provide a review of their Bixby pellet stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Big green egg is a super charcoal grill as well. Buy one of those and a Traeger. The hell with a pellet stove for right now. Get your BBQ on.

Not a bad thought as my Lopi pellet stove is still kicking just fine and made it through another winter with no problems. The older model Lopi's (mine is a FoxFire) have their issues, but durability does not seem to be one of them, at least that's been my experience. Those Green Eggs are pretty pricey, however. If I wanted a charcoal grill, I'd just spring for the classic Weber and be done with it.....

You asked about Bixbys and its interesting to read the responses. Every stove has its good points and bad points and to further confuse that statement what is important to you may not be important to me.
Example is they have a large hopper for fuel and large drawer for ashes. This means less babysitting and if you use a thermostat it will provide even heat over a pretty large area due to its large convection fan. There is stoves advertised as whisper quiet but they don't say how much area they heat.
You can hook the Bixby up to your computer and adjust the dump cycle and many other features with this stove. It can be set to shut off and a certain thermostat setting and restart automatically or it can slow the fire down to a "idle" until the thermostat calls for heat.
The weak points I have found were weak bearings in the convection fan which cost about 10.00 for the pair and if you burn pellets the gasket material will fail sooner then if you burn corn. This will cost about 4.00. Some of the ceramic igniters were bad but can be replaced reasonably with metal ones. The exhaust system caused a lot of headaches and can be replaced with any 3 inch corn stove pipe. Most of the wear parts can be found.
It doesn't have radiant heat and you can buy a nice screen for the door eliminating any "hot spots" kids can burn themselves on. There is no feeder auger to cause problems.
Once a person updates the stove to the latest software and uses 3 inch exh and a outside fresh air system you should be able to adjust the air and fuel mix and basically just add fuel and dump and ash pan every few days. You should spend 1/2 a hour every 3 weeks to clean it.
I have helped a lot of people with their Bixby and once they figure out how it is supposed to work they get along great with it.
This stove is different looking to be sure but its performance and dependability will match or surpass any other stove out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.