Can anyone recommend an entry level digital SLR?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
Somebody local is selling a Sony A350 with an extra zoom lens, bag, etc for 400. I've been looking and looking the last couple of days, and my eyes are going kooky. The technology seems to be changing rapidly. I have no idea what would be a good buy, except by reading on line reviews and doing searches on ebay, amazon, etc, etc.

I'm sure a Canon or Nikon something or other would fit the bill as well, but I'm trying to keep costs down and this one popped up.

Thanks

nikon d50, ive had it for a whyle and love it. they are a deal used and are 6.1 mp. plenty of features, more than ill ever use. pete

Thanks. It's always tempting to buy the newest, but it's usually more expensive.

I have the Nikon D3000, 2 lens and a bag and some CD's on how to use it, $650.00 @ Costco, can't go wrong.

I went out and bought the external flash, it helps with pictures at low light (wedding's etc). This camera is great as a entry level,

My friend has the Cannon Rebel, also a good choice and about the same price.

I am under the impression that digital cameras are a throw away item when they break, and therefore would be reluctant to buy one used. That said, I think that the Cannon Rebel XT is a pretty good camera at a fair price. While not an SLR, I have an older Fuji 5700 that has served me well over the years.

I'm leaning towards the Pentax X-R with two lenses.
The lowest LEGITIMATE price I've found so far is $675.
I say "LEGITIMATE" because I nearly got scammed out of $570, for what was going to be a great deal, at a bogus website.
The website was quite slick and looked above board, but a Google search brought up the dirt.
Interesting, because it was Google that went out of its way to recommend the site in a product search there-I think the scammers were a sponser.
It was apparently created with the last several weeks and others have lost money.
Here was one hit: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=4546553

It's the first time I've experienced this. Got to be careful out there.

Geez, Some people got taken for a bunch and I'm not the only one that almost got taken:
http://www.hotukdeals.com/misc/has-anyone-used-kv-cameras/755427

It must make one so angy if money were actually stolen that way.
The scammers are probably so insulated so as not to be touchable.
Still, law enforcement should be able to get to them at some point.

velvetfoot said:
Somebody local is selling a Sony A350 with an extra zoom lens, bag, etc for 400. I've been looking and looking the last couple of days, and my eyes are going kooky. The technology seems to be changing rapidly. I have no idea what would be a good buy, except by reading on line reviews and doing searches on ebay, amazon, etc, etc.

I'm sure a Canon or Nikon something or other would fit the bill as well, but I'm trying to keep costs down and this one popped up.

Thanks

http://www.steves-digicams.com/ great site with indepth reviews.. This is where I look when thinking cameras.

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.