Can anyone tell me anything about this stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Connie Lambert

Jul 2, 2010
KY
Hi...I'm new here but I have this stove in my basement and would like to know as much as I could about it. It's obviously a Glacier Bay. It's from Old Erie Stoves in 1979. Any idea how many BTU's it could produce? Is it a good or bad design?? Any idea of it's approximate value? Is it something I could use to heat my basement without too much trouble? Any kind of information you may be able to pass on about it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!!

Attachments

• Wood_stove_1.jpg
    Wood_stove_1.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 428
Some of the more generic points:

Its old school, built like a tank, pre-epa basic. Its gonna eat wood like it has a giant tape worm. It will last for years if you have the energy to feed it.

Check with local code and insurance before you go too far with this. Some areas will not allow the pre-epa stoves to be installed, and some ins. companies won't allow it either.

If run properly, the old dogs don't burn too bad, but run improperly - they get the name "smoke dragon" for a reason. It will never be as clean burning as the newer stoves. Will it make heat? You betcha.

Oh - and welcome to the forum. :)

Yup, it's a beast. Where I live, it would be illegal to sell, move, or install in a new location, although it could still be burned if it's in its originally installed location. Kentucky climate is relatively mild (I think). Unless your basement's unusually huge, I'd think you could heat that space just fine with this old behemoth...maybe too fine if you don't pay attention. %-P Rick

That looks almost identical to my Timberline. I heated about 2400 sq. ft. all winter with it. That being said, be careful where you place it. It will generate a lot of heat. And it will need to be run hard to keep the smoke to a minimum. But they can be modified fairly easily if you're mechanically inclined. Secondary air system can really help get a clean burn. But that's a whole different can of worms.

The first thing that HAS to be done is to get a qualified chimney sweep out there to inspect the chimney and the installation. Like folks above have said the old dog will put out a lot of heat and maybe not smoke up the neighborhood too bad if you burn really dry wood and keep it burning at a stove top temperature over five hundred degrees.

But don't even think about lighting a fire in that stove until you know what is in that stove pipe and chimney.

Stay around and the folks here will help ya. It is a friendly helpful bunch.

^^ Yup...if you're thinking about using it right where it sits, it needs a thorough inspection...from firebox to daylight...before firing it up. BB's not particularly friendly, but he is helpful. :p Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.