Can anyone tell me the make/model of this Applalchian?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

38053wdw

Apr 29, 2014
Tennessee
I just purchased this and was trying to find out some info on it. I'm going to clean her up over the summer and maybe use it. I have a Buck Stove now but the Ms. wants a window to see the flames. I will need some side panels for the FP opening and one of the front toggle switches is broken. I just want to see what they do (one on each side) - You can see the broken toggle switch in the bottom left of 2nd picture. Thanks in advance for your time.

IMAG0633.jpg IMAG0635.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: valley ranch
I like that, kinda like a buck but with a single door, I prefer a one door with a large glass.

Richard

I think you might just have a nice stove there.

It's smaller then the one I have now ... So it may not work to well... Especially since I will probably have to make the side panels to cover the openings

It's smaller then the one I have now ... So it may not work to well... Especially since I will probably have to make the side panels to cover the openings

You are going to have a full, stainless liner in the chimney that connects to the stove, correct?

That's the way to do it. Unless you build small fires for short length of time, very little will build up in the chimney. At the big house on the folks ranch, we had two chimneys one for the fireplace with an outlet in the master dressing room upstairs. Another chimney with an opening in the first floor dinning room one also in the first floor kitchen just the other side of the wall, still another outlet in an upstairs bedroom. We had small stoves and the fire place going at times during winter. The amount of build up was negligible if any.

I've run into people now days that with a frightened look on their face, screech in a strained voice that: you cannot have more than one fire box on a chimney and that using a traditional chimney without a liner is never to be done. Many of these were born yesterday with narrow knowledge base and others work in that line of business and are jaded in their view.

Richard

I should add, there are those that with the best intentions, say this with a sincere desire to help.

Last edited:
Many of these were born yesterday with narrow knowledge base and others work in that line of business and are jaded in their view.
Richard
I should add, there are those that with the best intentions, say this with a sincere desire to help.

Still others work for NFPA, UL, Insurance companies, brick institutes and other orgs which actually test the configurations and find out what burns houses down and what doesn't......

We'd often get this "but grand dad did it through the window" story back in the store and I explained it this way - "In grand dad's time they didn't have communications and statistics so when a house burned down more than two valleys over, no one locally heard about it".....

Still others work for NFPA, UL, Insurance companies, brick institutes and other orgs which actually test the configurations and find out what burns houses down and what doesn't......

These, above, there are those that with the best intentions, say this with a sincere desire to help.

? Are you working for NFPA, UL, Insurance compaine, brick institutes and other orgs? Have you burned down a house? Where are you coming from? What's your stake in the game?

If you saying we should check and clean our chimneys? If so I agree with you. If you're making a blanket statement there is only one way to do this, you are not in a class by your self. You're just of a different opinion. Best wishes, I don't want to cross swords with a STAFF MEMBER, that's a good way to get booted out.

Hah, I don't boot people out for having opinions.....

It's pretty simple. There is a right way and a wrong way to do most mechanical things. Your car may run down the road fine on bald tires, but the odds worsen. Then there is the performance angle.

I work in the public interest. That is, I want people to use their stoves safely and efficiently. While there are some grey areas, installing an insert or fireplace stove without at least a direct connection past the damper area is not one of them. I was in the field for 25+ years and rarely saw a masonry chimney which was built to modern standards - that is, most have brick and masonry too close to wood framing as well as other mistakes.

I have seen many a fireplace where there was charred wood visible - and, yes, I did a post-fire inspection on a very expensive house which lit up due to improper fireplace clearances. People die because of wood burning or just about any other endeavor which involves fire.

Of course, the human who operates the appliance is the biggest safety threat. But proper installations can take a lot more abuse than improper ones.

That is a broad assumption about the age and experience of the folks commenting. Many of us have decades of wood burning experience.

There are other compounding factors including whether the chimney is masonry lined or not. If there is no masonry liner, the gamble gets greater. And do you know how the chimney and house was originally built? Did the builder take shortcuts? Here is a shot of a friend's dad's chimney taken about a month ago. It set the attic and roof on fire after regular wood heating for 35 years. Pyrolysis finally lowered the ignition point to where a fire started in the wall. His daughter woke up with sparks falling down on her while asleep. They were very lucky. There's a reason to err on the side of safety when the lives of others are involved.

roof fire.jpg

A slammer installation has a greater chance of leaking smoke into the room. If that happens in the middle of the night, CO asphyxiation is a possibility. This won't happen with a full liner. Slammer installs are no longer permitted for this reason.

Many of these were born yesterday with narrow knowledge base and others work in that line of business and are jaded in their view.

I was born 24,123 yesterdays ago and have been heating my house by toasting trees to heat my house for 14,235 of them. And will never burn into an unlined masonry chimney again. Safety aside, performance is a world of difference.

And have never worked a day in the hearth industry. But did install my two liners myself. And kicked myself for not doing it twenty years earlier. As to burning two appliances into one flue, CO detectors and physics do not lie.

Yep, if I were working with a chimney that needed it, I'd be sure to install a liner.
There is no way one could know from inspecting that chimney that the builder had taken such an egregious and life-threatening shortcut. That is the point. How do you really know if it needs it unless you were there when it was built?

Status
Not open for further replies.