Can Bosca Classic be changed to Eco 45 simply?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyberc@t

Mar 22, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Last post for the day .... I have the Classic Bosca 500 (dirty stove with few easily available parts). I have the potential of buying a used Drolet Eco 45. Auger doesn't drop pellets - but there are loads of reasonably priced parts for it, here in Canada. It does strike me as a dirty stove but the price is right even if it needs a motor. I think I can just plug it in to test the mainboard? If it lights, it's good? I have been doing ALL my own repairs and maintenance on this rotten Bosca but I'm not very good with electricity. What I wonder is if it's a straight pull-out, put-in to go from one stove set up to the other? Mine is on my main floor, vented out the wall, no OAK.

Pull up a manual on-line for the Drolet to find out the exhaust outlet height. If is lower or same height as the Bosca, you're good to go. If is higher, it is not a simple switch out... you have to raise your thimble but then you will have an opening for the OAK too. You cannot vent a pellet stove down. A few members went to a local metal fabricator to have a custom cover plate made for the exhaust thimble and OAK integrated. You can buy some that way too but depends on how much exhausts are different in height.

Auger not working may be from vacuum problems ... new gaskets, clogged stove, clogged vac. switch port, broken vac. tubing. Could also be due to failed high limit. Most frequent cause of problems is improper cleaning..
PS. Looks to be 11-7/8" on center from the base
https://www.drolet.ca/media/1357/45167a_09-09-2015.pdf

Also, your dirty burning Bosca could be because it doesn't have an OAK!

Last edited:
Hi thanks - seems to be ok if it's installed primary level or basement. My auger and motor is, replaced the convection blower tonight, half the heat, no idea why? Shuts down in 20 mins. Trying to undrstand the electical stuff ... don't really know electrical just mechanical :(

Right now it shuts down every 20 mins, and it burns, lights, runs fine! Just shuts off for no reason. Half the heat it should have ...

Yes, I've gone through all of od them, even if they didn't tip off .... hard wired an industrial heater to my dryer but can't do thsy for ever :(

Did you check the exhaust height on the Bosca? Drolet is 11-7/8" on centre or 13-5/8" top of the exhaust venting.

If you get the Drolet, clean it very well before you get it in the house. Leaf blower trick (just unhook the tubing on the vacuum switch) or compressed air works best. Might want to wear a dust mask. Get a new exhaust blower gasket so you can pull that and clean the blades. There are three areas that must be cleaned well ... they recommend a 3/4" hose attached to vacuum (starts page 35 of manual). I got a micro-tool set that has a nozzle that accommodates a hose well as I need one to clean my stove too. Some folks use a bottle brush to get in those spaces; I use a dryer lint brush because my stove is tall.

Hard to tell if the board is functioning by just plugging in. You can try to cycle the auger without the stove on but plugged in. There is a hopper switch so make sure the hopper lid is down and engaging the switch. If it is outside, you could try lighting it by filling the burn pot with pellets and seeing if combustion blower and ignitor activates when turned on. How much is the board if needed? There is a fellow in Peterborough that repairs Whitfield boards but not sure if he works on the Drolets. He's on Kijiji.

How old is the Drolet?

Keep us posted...

Status
Not open for further replies.