Can caste iron be bent?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
firefighterjake said:
Battenkiller said:
firefighterjake said:
Even the Man of Steel cannot bend cast iron . . . it will simply break in his grip.

C'mon... He could use his heat vision to get it bright cherry red, duh.

Ya know, I really am starting to sound like Pook.

Not even close . . . your thread would read more like this . . .

Cam On . . . Hes cud using heet vizon too getit brite chery reed, duh.

Yah knowz . . . Eye Relay m Staring sounz lik Pooook.

LOL

All depends if it's actually cast iron or forged and also the alloy.

I have had ok luck with welding cast iron before, and also had it where it wouldn't weld at all.

If whatever I was working on was trash and I was trying to maybe fix it by bending I would try, but I certainly wouldn't want to try on something that is still fine and make it trash!

woodmiser said:
If cast iron didn't bend than why are people replacing bent cast iron baffles?

Battenkiller said:
OK, OK... I just meant it's not alloyed with anything else. There is very little of anything else in it, though. Commercially pure is what I should have said. :roll: :lol:

I have some huge barn door hinges I'm saving for something ornate if I ever get good enough to forge anything ornate. I've never ever hit a piece of hot wrought iron, just telling tales as they were told to me. The stuff sucks for all I know.

Give it a try! It is nice stuff to forge and very easy to forge weld. Another thing is to etch the finished product in a mild acid (ferric chloride, vinegar, lemon juice etc.) and you will bring out the fibrous characteristics of the metal.

I've heard brazing can be used to repair cast iron.

Status
Not open for further replies.