Can clay flue tiles ever be repaired?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ikessky

Minister of Fire
Sep 2, 2008
Northern WI
My previous topic really got me thinking about this. This really is a moot issue for me since I am already installing a liner, but looking at my current chimney I really got thinking about this. I'll use my own setup as an example.

Looking from the top of the chimney down, the clay flue looks pretty good. Not visible cracks or broken tiles. When I look in the chimney in my basement where the thimble would pass through into the block and flue, I can see one area where a second access point was added (maybe a foot above this one). When they added this, they cracked the flue tile and actually broke a chunck off. This area is no where near any combustibles. Those portions of the chimney have the proper block and the flue is intact. Judging by where the soot had built up, the previous owner that added one of the access holes was not concerned about the broken portion and burned anyway.

Now, using that example, could a person effectively repair the clay tile? How would this be done? In my initial thoughts, I was thinking a person could use a few layers of wire mesh and refractory cement to build it back up. Like I perviously said, I'm installing a liner regardless. I would just like to know this out of curiousity sake.

No one knows or it can't be done?

Only way I have ever seen it done is a poured in place refractory liner. That is what insurance companies have done.

Probably lots of ways to repair it.....holes in tile are patched up regularly.

There is even a system for filling in the mortar joints between tiles. They drop a squeegee down - which is the same size as the tile - then pour some stuff in and drag the thing up. It presses that goop into the mortar joints and cracks as it is pulled up.

Interesting. Sounds more economical and easier to just install a SS liner in most cases then.

As a side note, I had some extra refractory cement laying around, so I smeared it on the areas that I mentioned. I know it doesn't really serve a purpose since I have a liner, but I really didn't have a use for the cement and it certainly won't hurt anything in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.