Can hearth be higher than firebox

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KCo

Dec 13, 2022
Georgia
Hello All,
I am considering raising a sunken front room floor but I have a two story stacked stone fireplace and the box sits 5” lower than the projected floor height. Not really sure of my options. One contractor says I will need to remove it all to raise the box. Another says I can leave it and have a sunken firebox lower than the hearth. Is this option code? Anyone have success with something like this?

9A78A42D-EDDD-481C-9F7E-BE9D0F72CE55.jpeg

I don't think so. Concerns about radiant heat would say no.

What type of fireplace is this? Gas?

It looks like the hearth is already not correct. There is no ember protection .

Check the stove's manual for clearances and hearth requirements, especially if it has a section on raised vs flush hearths.

OP, remember clearances to combustibles, raised wood floor in front of firebox = cooking wood floor and or rafters wood floor is mounted to.