can hopper catch on fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kserr

Oct 23, 2008
western Ma
Hi all

We are new users of a ST Croix EXP we are pleased with the stove but one thing that troubles us is that the flame sometimes looks like its trying to go up the pellet shoot. We are afraid that it could reach the hopper full of pellets and cause a fire. Can this happen? As soon as the pellets come down it straightens out the flame seems to happen more on low settings. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

The short answer....is that it IS possible. And it has happened...many a time.

The better news is that this problem was more prevalent on early models of pellet stoves and that the newer designs and also the controls should limit the occurrences.

Having a decent vertical run of pellet vent and a tight sealing hopper are two things which should help.

Of course, also have a smoke detector, etc.

Keep in mind that there is a relatively long auger (screw) which separates the firebox from the hopper....this screw fits fairly tight against the inner wall of the tube it travels in, so it is difficult for burning pellets or flame to span back into the auger.

My EXP does the same thing on #1, #1 lo and #1 hi.
The pellets up in the hopper are far away from the flame so
no worries.

Had a hopper fire on an ancient Thelin Parlor pellet ... no fun at all.

I had a St. Croix Lancaster that I had 2 instances of hopper fires. I was using a poor brand of pellets though. They didn't burn well and backed up the feed shoot, which caused the fire in the hopper. Didn't realize the pellets were bad until that occurred (never had a problem burning corn). And it's not a pleasant experience!

I just got a lennox winslow stove installed by a fireplace company, the hopper has been caulked all around the inside of the hopper with some type of fireproof caulk. Would it be a good idea to recaulk that area yearly? Or just look for loose caulk, and recaulk that part of the caulk joint? The stove is a 1 year old demo model by the way. Also while on the hopper fire subject, would it matter if the hopper is full, half full etc. for fire prevention? Sorry for questions, I have never had a pellet stove before. thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.