Can I burn corn pellets???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tamjonw

Oct 4, 2009
ny
Hello, I have a Vermont Castings Reliance Pellet Stove. There is NO auger in our stove, it seems to be
just gravity fed. There's a little door that opens and closes at the bottom of the pellets.
Does anyone know if this stove can burn corn??

tamjonw said:
Hello, I have a Vermont Castings Reliance Pellet Stove. There is NO auger in our stove, it seems to be
just gravity fed. There's a little door that opens and closes at the bottom of the pellets.
Does anyone know if this stove can burn corn??

Not only the stove has to be corn rated, You vent pipe also needs to rated for corn burnning. Corn exhaust gas is very corrosive. Check your vent pipes rating. If it isn't rated for corn I wouldn't bother. Corn also burns dirty compared to wood pellets. So you will be cleaning quit a bit more often. You also need to clean(shift or screen) the corn. More stuff to make or buy. More work involved for you!

I would compare the cost of corn to pellets. Unless the corn is CHEAP! probably not worth the hassle. If corn is extremly cheap. You probably better off to go out and buy a corn stove with the proper vent. A TRUE corn stove or Multifuel stove will handle the cleaning process for you and run longer between cleanings.

I have a multifuel stove and available corn in my area. I am only planning on burnning it if I need the option(lack of wood pellets). Pellets are at about $260.00/ton and corn is at$240/ton. The $20.00 savings isn't worth the extra hassle. More time and work involved. But a do-able option if I can't find wood pellets.

just my take on it.
jay

Status
Not open for further replies.