Can I burn lilacl?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gyrfalcon

Minister of Fire
Dec 25, 2007
Champlain Valley, Vermont
This summer I really went after the horribly overgrown lilac bushes around my house and barn, and cut down quite a large number of trunks, both alive and dead. It's very hard and dense wood, judging by the effort involved in sawing it by hand. Can I burn it, assuming time for drying out for the live stuff?

Lilac burns just fine. I have some, not very much as the stems are small and I cut back the Lilacs about 25% after they flower each year. Lilacs, under usual conditions tend to be shrubs with many stems, but they respond readily to training into tree forms.. If its wood it finds its way into my stove.

Haven't burned lilac, but have burned some honeysuckle. I think of the two as similar just because I have grown them together in several places! The honeysuckle is also VERY dense and burns just great. Too bad they are just big bushes and not trees, what a fragrant and beautiful woodlot you could have . . .

Basically I assume that unless a wood is poisonous in some way then it is good to burn. (I have cautiously burned some cherry laurel, which is slightly toxic.)

NO!!!

The wood burning police will come and confiscate your stove! :lol:

I don't see why not. I would be willing to burn any non poisonous dense wood, assuming my wife isn't allergic to it. (I can't burn any coniferous trees. My wife is deathly allergic to them) It may turn out to be wonderful firewood, though I have no experience with that. I just stated burning myself. :cheese:

I burned some this year.. like 5 pieces. The stuff is very heavy, so I assume dense. Honestly, if it's wood it goes in my stove and it produces heat. I'm not a wood biggot. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.