can i burn pine?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah, like 25% of what the hardwood was. And make him give you a load of hardwood at agreed price. Pine burns fast compared to hardwoods. Unless you really like stuffing the stove or the price is right I would want hardwood if available (and that is what you ordered)

Fishing Randy said:
Hi Everyone,

I have two wood stoves a Jotul 400 and a England Stove Works 28-3500 wood furnace. I just got stiffed by the wood guys here who said they were delivering all hardwood to me but dropped of an 18 wheeler of Pine, now they wont take it back, can I burn it in my stoves safely? Thanks for your help!
Randy

So, two months later, how did you resolve this. I didn't see any post as to what the outcome was? Thanks and just curious. Was it really pine? :)

Hey, does anyone have some experience regarding using the beetle killed pine from the Rockies and SW Utah mts.?
What would be a reasonable price to pay for a semi load of just long logs delivered about 50 miles?
Hardwood is not as common or available here. Any suggestions for making the best of pine?

It will burn well. Regarding the price, in the NE hardwoods in log form run about $100 a cord delivered. I would expect to pay less in your location for log form pine.

After getting it bucked and split, let it season for a year and you'll have great luck burning pine.

steam man said:
Don't pay or cancel your check or credit card ASAP and tell them to come get it. Tell them they can offer you a reduced price if you want to-just don't put up with this crap. If you already paid them there is small claims court. Just don't use it until this is settled.

agreed ..around here pine goes to the landfill you cant even give it away ,i would only burn it if it was seasoned a long time to maybe to supplement the hardwoods

Wet1 said:
It will burn well. Regarding the price, in the NE hardwoods in log form run about $100 a cord delivered. I would expect to pay less in your location for log form pine.

After getting it bucked and split, let it season for a year and you'll have great luck burning pine.

So is it best to buck and split it before we season it, or leave it in log form for a yr. then do all the dirty work? If it's been dead standing for a long time is it already cured?

Insanad said:
Wet1 said:

So is it best to buck and split it before we season it, or leave it in log form for a yr. then do all the dirty work? If it's been dead standing for a long time is it already cured?

Split as soon as you can - in log form it's doing no drying, maybe some rotting.

Dead standing, except if it's years and years old, it will still likely be wet in the main part of the trunk.

Glad I came across this. My buddy who owns a tree service wants to take down a couple of pines in my front yard. I was kind of against it because I didnt think I could use the wood but now I may just have him do it.

Don't pay for the pine. As BeGreen said, call the authorities. I get stove length pine delivered to my yard for free routinely. When I accept a load of pine, I am saving the driver a lot of money in dump fees. You have been stolen from. Do something about it.

Jags said:
Thanks North of 60, that picture is really helping my cabin fever. :coolgrin:

Jags, if you've got cabin fever already it is going to be a looooong winter!

EDIT: Didn't check the dates. Sure is lot of digin up old threads lately.

I know this is an old thread . . . but does anyone know whatever happened with the OP and his load of pine?

firefighterjake said:
I know this is an old thread . . . but does anyone know whatever happened with the OP and his load of pine?

He probably met the same tragic fate of so many young pine burners before him.

Remember kids, when you are burning pine, you are playing with fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.