1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

can i burn pine?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Fishing Randy, Mar 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. burntime

burntime New Member

Loc:
    C'mon hunting season!
    yeah, like 25% of what the hardwood was. And make him give you a load of hardwood at agreed price. Pine burns fast compared to hardwoods. Unless you really like stuffing the stove or the price is right I would want hardwood if available (and that is what you ordered)

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Carl

Carl New Member

Loc:
    Northern Michigan
    So, two months later, how did you resolve this. I didn't see any post as to what the outcome was? Thanks and just curious. Was it really pine? :)
  3. Insanad

Insanad New Member

Loc:
    High Desert
    Hey, does anyone have some experience regarding using the beetle killed pine from the Rockies and SW Utah mts.?
    What would be a reasonable price to pay for a semi load of just long logs delivered about 50 miles?
    Hardwood is not as common or available here. Any suggestions for making the best of pine?
  4. Wet1

Wet1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    USA
    It will burn well. Regarding the price, in the NE hardwoods in log form run about $100 a cord delivered. I would expect to pay less in your location for log form pine.

After getting it bucked and split, let it season for a year and you'll have great luck burning pine.
  5. lexybird

lexybird Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northwestern PA.
    agreed ..around here pine goes to the landfill you cant even give it away ,i would only burn it if it was seasoned a long time to maybe to supplement the hardwoods
  6. Insanad

Insanad New Member

Loc:
    High Desert
    So is it best to buck and split it before we season it, or leave it in log form for a yr. then do all the dirty work? If it's been dead standing for a long time is it already cured?
  7. CarbonNeutral

CarbonNeutral Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nashoba Valley(ish), MA
    Split as soon as you can - in log form it's doing no drying, maybe some rotting.

Dead standing, except if it's years and years old, it will still likely be wet in the main part of the trunk.
  8. av8roc

av8roc New Member

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Glad I came across this. My buddy who owns a tree service wants to take down a couple of pines in my front yard. I was kind of against it because I didnt think I could use the wood but now I may just have him do it.
  9. Dune

Dune Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Commonwealth Of Massachussetts
    Don't pay for the pine. As BeGreen said, call the authorities. I get stove length pine delivered to my yard for free routinely. When I accept a load of pine, I am saving the driver a lot of money in dump fees. You have been stolen from. Do something about it.
  10. wendell

wendell Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Madison, WI
    Jags, if you've got cabin fever already it is going to be a looooong winter!

EDIT: Didn't check the dates. Sure is lot of digin up old threads lately.
  11. Bigg_Redd

Bigg_Redd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shelton, WA

Yes, but it causes chimney fires.
  12. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    I know this is an old thread . . . but does anyone know whatever happened with the OP and his load of pine?
  13. Lumber-Jack

Lumber-Jack Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Beautiful British Columbia
    He probably met the same tragic fate of so many young pine burners before him.

Remember kids, when you are burning pine, you are playing with fire.
  14. 'bert

'bert Minister of Fire

Loc:
    East of the Rockies West of the Rest, North of 49
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.