Can I burn these in my insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

egclassic

Feeling the Heat
Jan 1, 2011
SW Ohio
My wife's cousin own a fence company and when he receives his fencing and guardrailing, the trucking company leaves him all of the oak 4x4's that the material sits on.
These are NOT treated wood. I know my manual says not to burn "milled" wood, but since these are not finished in anyway, I thought they'd be good to burn. Thoughts??

im not an expert but i dont see why you couldnt as long as its not treated.

Thanks for the quick responses! He says he has a ton of these laying in his yard at the shop. May need drying out but if I can use them, I can have all I want.

They are probably going to burn hot so proceed with caution until you see just how hot.

I would mix them in with other wood you have on hand and not burn them together until you see how hot it burns.

Sounds like you just scored a load of free heat. Congratulations!

I would burn those in a heart beat.

Sure can--I used those things in my smoker for a year before I got the scrounging addiction and a crapload of chainsaws.

joshlaugh said:
I would mix them in with other wood you have on hand and not burn them together until you see how hot it burns.

Bingo!

Get them and burn them. Just don't burn 100% with them but mix it with your other wood. If you just burn them, be sure to not fill the stove or you might face an overfiring.

You are a very, very lucky person. Like others said, take it easy and try one or two to see how they burn, then just enjoy the free burn. Geez, how do these things happen to people!!!!

Is your average oak pallet treated or not? I have a lot of these available at work that I'm cutting up and burning. The wood looks fairly rough cut and doesn't appear to be treated at first glance, but I'm no expert. If someone here knows that XX% of all pallets out there are treated in some way, that would help me out

He shoots, he SCORES!

I have a freind who is in the fence business....might have to give him a call!

FGZ said:
Is your average oak pallet treated or not? I have a lot of these available at work that I'm cutting up and burning. The wood looks fairly rough cut and doesn't appear to be treated at first glance, but I'm no expert. If someone here knows that XX% of all pallets out there are treated in some way, that would help me out

Buddy of mine worked for a large metal fabrication shop up in the 'ville, he brought home tons, literally, of pallets that their steel came in on. Was all just rough sawn lumber, oak, maple and some hickory. I doubt any pallet company would go to the bother to use treated lumber, pallets are an "expendable".

We actually re-sawed a bunch of the maple, there was some fantastic wood in it. He built a great looking and large kitchen island out of it, all tiger stripe and curly. I still have about a 100Bft out in the garage to build some shooting boxes and stuff for our BP club. We burned a lot of it that was just plain and had lots of screws and nails in it.

We have a pallet plant close to home and they have been selling mixed hardwood blocks to wood burners for several years. They do make an extremely hot fire so be careful with them. It works great for the pallet company since they get a little money out of a waste product that they would have to pay to dump somewhere and the wood burners are getting pretty cheap wood fuel as well. It sells for $20.00 a trailer load which is a standard 6 x 16 foot trailer.

I use to get oak pallet ends from the Easter Seals Center here that makes pallets. No bark, easy to stack and burned great.

No, you can't burn that. Very dangerous to your stove. Send them to me and I'll get rid of them safely (in my stove). :)

Cheers.....Som

Status
Not open for further replies.