Can I burn without a spark arrester?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitchen

Jan 20, 2013
Shawangunk Mountains, NYS
Well once again the Hudson Valley winds have blown my vent cap and spark arrester off my Class A chimney. This is the second time the cap has been separated from the base - weak spot welds I guess. Anyway, my installer can't repair for about a week and it's cold outside. I have a Oslo, running into a T and then up about 30 feet. My question is: any danger burning with this setup without the cap and spark arrester until the vent cap is replaced?

I'm guessing the answer is "no problem unless there is one" - in other words, as long as you don't have any embers flowing up the chimney (seems very unlikely in a properly operated/functioning stove) then the spark arrester isn't doing anything anyway. Burning without the cap/arrestor may well violate local codes too.

If I had this setup and had to burn I would rather than be cold but I wouldn't put off fixing it asap.

I would rather burn then have it rain down my chimney. If your burning wood and not trash or paper, I wouldn't think there should be an issue or like Slow1 said unless there is one. Take it easy and check on it now and then until your more comfortable with it. I would get it corrected though as soon as you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.