Can I burn wood pellets in a sauna stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slackercruster

Oct 21, 2011
I have a small wood burning sauna stove. Can wood pellets be burned in it? Or does one need a fan setup in the stove to burn pellets?

I'd be heaping the pellets towards the back of the stove. It has fire bricks there. The front of the stove has a grate for the ashes to fall through, so can't use that part or the pellets will fall through the cutouts.

Thanks

Attachments

• sb.jpg
    sb.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 751
For a decent burn, you'll need a good forced air supply. Me thinks they will just smolder in your set up. Now if a guy was a little creative.....

I'd look into the logs or bio bricks. Burn fine in a wood burner. Just don't over load it. Stuff it full like wood and it might run away on you. Bio bricks and pellets are generally about the same cost. I have seen baskets to burn pellets in a wood burner. But they haven't seemed to perform all that well.

There also pellet baskets out on the market for that kind of conversion.

Status
Not open for further replies.