Can I clean my chimney from the stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lburg

Jul 20, 2009
Central KY
I have a steep roof and a tall chimney so I would like to clean my chimney from the stove (Regency I2400). How do I remove the air tubes? How do you clean a chimney?

Thanks

I don't know your particular stove but most stoves I have seen can provide access to clean the chimney from the bottom up. The owners manual is here...but I cannot access it right now for some reason...

http://www.regency-fire.com/Files/Manuals/I2400-918-171.aspx

The manual usually tells you how to take out the firebrick and burn tubes.

I do it on installations where it's possible. The manual will explain how as said above. Usually you have to remove some pins, screws or whatever and then slide things out of the way. Be careful with the baffle.

You'll need some somewhat flexible rods and a good poly brush. Be careful not to push a bunch of soot up into the cap area. Work the brush up and down, pushing a bit further each time. This will help prevent pushing all the soot up top. Also, when you're done at least check the top of the chimney if possible. You just should verify everything is in good order and clean.

A shop vac hose in the door of the stove will help control dust.

you can remove a regency baffle... check the owner's manual online or hardcopy (if u have it still) should show how.

There is no way a stove will ever burn in this house when the chimney wasn't inspected from the top down. Period.

Thanks for your responses. I will clean it from the top. I just don't like working on ladders but I would rather work from a ladder than pay someone else to come clean it.

I don't know about through the stove, but I clean my class A chimney from the bottom most of the time. Remove the black stove pipe take outside and clean. Start a brush up the chimney with a 4' screw-on rod. Tape a plastic grocery bag to the bottom of the chimney, push brush up adding rods as needed. Pull back down and repeat. About 95% of the soot goes into the bag, vac the rest up. I can look up the chimney and see the nice shinny walls of my class A chimney.
Probably wouldn't work very well with a block chimney.
Doug

I don't like going on roofs anymore (not that I ever really did). My roofs now are 7/12 pitch concrete tile, and I really don't like going up on them. Swept my shop stove flue today, using my Gardus Soot-Eater. Bottom-up. In that little CFM stove, I just remove two baffle bricks, get the brush started up the stovepipe, rotate moderately with a cordless drill as I go up, add 3' sections of rod as necessary until I can feel it bump into the chimney cap. Rotate moderately back down, removing sections of rod as they emerge from the stove...done. If I'm curious, I'll go up and pull the cap and look down, but this particular outside run of class A and cap I can look directly at from the bathroom window of our guest room upstairs from the shop. Cap's clear, and I could see where the brush cleaned the soot off the inside top. Really light, fluffy, black soot...maybe 1/2 gallon or so from a ~18' flue (pretty consistent with ~1/4" build-up on the inside). The stuff's evil, wants to go airborne. If I squeezed it all into a ball, I don't think I'd have a decent sized black snowball. Anyway...of course it's possible to clean the flue from the bottom up, and be confident that the job's done correctly. Rick

If you consult your owners manual and/or your local Regency dealer, they can show you how to remove the baffle to clean the chimney from the stove. The air tubes on most Regency stoves you just grab lightly with a set of vice grips, and tap the right side of the vice grips (tapping towards the left) and the tubes come right out. If you use this method, you can just look up to make sure the chimney is clean, but make sure you have a way to see that the chimney cap is not obstructed.

Status
Not open for further replies.