Can I convert a wood stove liner for use with Direct Vent Stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

npreci

Nov 18, 2008
Connecticut
I currently have a 1986 Vermont Casting Encore Defiant wood burning stove that has a 10” Oval Exhaust that, with the use of an adapter, has been converted to mate up to an 8” Foreverflex liner. I’ve used this for the past 3 years without issue. I am now wanting to upgrade to a Vermont Casting or even a Jotul gas stove. At first, I assumed that a Vermont Casting Natural Vent (or Jotul B-Vent) natural gas stove would be my best bet however, I was informed that at best a Natural Vent/B-Vent is only 50% efficient. I was told that I should go with a DVent stove.

(1) Is there a conversion kit that will allow me to use my preexisting wood stove 8” liner and convert it to work with a Direct-vent stove with either a 4” or 6” exhaust.

(2) How bad would it really be to use a Natural or B-Vent set up?

Thanks,
Nick

BTW, I currently have the old Vermont Casting Wood Stove and a brand new Jotul DV400 stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.