Can I cover unused flue?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dunadan

Oct 3, 2006
Holland Patent, NY
I'm planning on replacing my multi (3) flue chimney cap soon, but hate spending any more on the project than I need to.

I'm currently only using 2 of the 3 flues - boiler and insert. The 3rd flue is for the fireplace in our finished basement playroom, which we never use, and don't plan to in the near future.

My question is, instead of plopping down $50 or so for a 3rd flue cap, can I just cover it with something? I was thinking of cutting a piece of plywood slightly larger than the flue, and then covering that with a layer of (3-4) bricks. I know having bricks up on the roof doesn't sound all that safe, but I've had about 12 of them sitting on top of my current multi-flue cap holding it in place (since the cap has pretty much torn loose of the side mesh) all summer long and we've had some pretty sever storms without budging them at all.

Any other cheap suggestions would be welcome too.

I would just cut a piece of sheet metal the size of the flue tile, run a bead of silicone calk around the top of the flue tile and press the sheet metal down on top of it. Two bucks worth of sheet metal and a four dollar tube of silicone caulk. Use the rest to caulk a couple of windows. But be sure and put some kind of notice on that fireplace that the flue is blocked. You never know when a visitor might decide to have a little mood fire.

Bad idea having loose bricks up there. Bad, bad idea.

Bad idea having loose bricks up there. Bad, bad idea.

I'm sorry, I had to chuckle when I read this. I can't help thinking about other dumb things people do. not that I can think of anything specifically, but I imagine each time, someone is nearby saying "bad, bad idea".

I know I need to get them down and I like the idea of the sheet metal and silicon.

Where would I go about finding someone to cut a small piece of sheet metal for me? Does a Lowes or Home Depot do this? I've never needed to get a piece of sheet metal for anything.

In the department at Lowes or Home Depot where they have duct materials you can find a flat piece of galvanized or aluminum sheet. I doubt that they will cut it but a pair of tin snips are cheap but be sure to wear gloves working with the the sheet metal. That stuff can cut ya bad. Or you could just stop by a sheet metal shop and they will probably cut a piece from some scrap for a few bucks if you bring your measurements.

Status
Not open for further replies.