Can I do this...........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodMann

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2008
New Mexico
Right now I have double walled stove pipe. Nothing's wrong at all. So why fix it? Thing is that I can't get a proper reading of the flue tempwith the double- walled stove pipe, so I was thinking of putting a single wall peice in for like the first 18 inches or so. Is it even possible to mate single and couble walled pipe..........

I believe once you start with the double wall, you have to continue with it till you terminate.

What about a probe thermometer for that double wall pipe?

Why not go by stove top temp?

Todd said:

I second that, just buy a Condar probe thermometer. They cost like $20 and only require a small hole and your done installing it.

http://www.condar.com/meters.html

You really can't transition from single wall to double wall and then back again. I've tried. Don't do it. Just spend the jack for the condar probe thermometer; I've got on on my single wall pipe, can see it from the couch and love it because it's actually telling me the flue GAS temperature (interesting) rather than the single wall stovepipe surface temperature (not interesting).

jtp10181 said:
Todd said:

I second that, just buy a Condar probe thermometer. They cost like $20 and only require a small hole and your done installing it.

http://www.condar.com/meters.html

I do just that and it works great. The only thing you need to do is remove the thermometer when you are cleaning your flue. I have the Condar probe thermometer which I bought directly from Condar.

Jay

Wow- a probe thermometer, didn't know such a thing existed. Alot easier than wrestling with single and couble walled stove pipe. Thanks........................

Status
Not open for further replies.