can i do this

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisasst

Minister of Fire
Aug 13, 2008
cortland ny
can I use any gasket around my window? My window gasket has about had it. All I have here is some gasket I used for my ash pan. I can't find anything that looks like the current window gasket in any stores around here.

Should be able to find window tape gasket at any of the fabled Hearth Retailers still left out there. In fact, I couldnt imagine a fireplace store NOT having it in stock. If you cant find any, PM me and I'll mail you some with a bill of sale

I can get it from my dealer, but that is 45 minutes away and we have a very bad storm right now

Does the window gasket have to have a sticky side or no. I can get some on ebay, but it doesn't say it has a sticky side. I can't remember if the last one was sticky or not.

They sell gasket "glue" if you can't find a gasket that already has the sticky back on it. Do you have a Lowes or Ace Hardware anywhere nearby? I can find stove gaskets there.

chrisasst said:
Does the window gasket have to have a sticky side or no. I can get some on ebay, but it doesn't say it has a sticky side. I can't remember if the last one was sticky or not.

Why get it on ebay? That "storm" keeping you from spending your 10-20 bucks at a local dealer must pass by before the ebay transaction is complete and the gasket arrives at your home

depends on the setup......some stoves (for the glass gasket) use adhesive-back gasketing, while other, older units employed a channel that you would stick the gasket in and glue in place with gasket cement (usually this is coal or wood stoves)....as far as gasket cement, just make sure you use something fairly high temperature and not RTV, since it can fail around 5-600 °F .

Franks said:
chrisasst said:

Why get it on ebay? That "storm" keeping you from spending your 10-20 bucks at a local dealer must pass by before the ebay transaction is complete and the gasket arrives at your home

My local dealer is about 45 minutes away. I have no ace hardware, lowes etc.. near me. All I have is a do it best. Which carries nothing.

I went to my sister in laws last night that lives near a lowes and they don't carry the thin window gasket.

Status
Not open for further replies.