Can I exit the wall over a deck?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newbie111

Oct 4, 2008
Southern CT
We are installing a wood pellet stove and will be going up vertically inside the house about 5 feet and then going out horizontally through the exterior wall. The exiting point is a little over 7' above a wood deck. Is this ok to do? The vent manual says 7' above grade when adjacent to a public walkway, just curious if this is relevant or there is some other rule that might apply here.

What exactly is the clearance required for the pipe from the wall as it rises on the interior? Pipe manual says 1", is this really recommended?

Thanks! :)

I am going out over a deck as well (actually an open porch), but mine is going to be a horizontal install, straight out. The only requirements per dealer and inspector is that in my case the pipe extends 24'' out and is 18' above grade (This is using the outside air kit). I am also required to place patio blocks under the exhaust as well. Talk with your Building Inspector first, nothing worse than having to do a re-do. All my building inspector required was that I follow manufacturer instructions.

I have no idea what the minimum height should be, but I do know that I wouldn't install my exhaust to exit the house over a wood deck.

The reason I say this is that last year around this time, I saved a guys house from burning down. He had his exhaust over a wood deck, and a spark must have started it burning. I noticed smoke while driving by his house and stopped to check it out. I went to the back of the house, where the deck was smoking away, and also noticed the side of the house smoldering away inside the wall. I immediatley started pounding on the door to see if anyone was home, and called 911. Though no one was home, I was able to get the fire on the deck out with the hose that was attached to the house. When the firemen got there they immediately took an axe to the wall to put out the fire inside it.

I would estimate that the exhaust on the offending stove exited the house about 3 ft above the deck, and it still caught on fire. Just because there is fire brick beneath the exhaust doesn't mean that the wind won't blow a hot spark around.

After seeing what happened, and the possibility that the whole house could have been burnt to the ground, as I mentioned above, there is no way I would install over a deck.

Just my 2 cents, for what it's worth.

I will NEVER DIRECT VENT ANYWERE

Status
Not open for further replies.