Can I expect much difference?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muncybob

Minister of Fire
Apr 8, 2008
Near Williamsport, PA
Last year being our first year of heating with wood we made the mistake of not being prepared with dry wood. Wasn't too bad but you live & learn.
This year we have been burning dry cherry all winter and found it to be a big difference.
For next year I have a mixture of maple, cherry and ash. Maple is soft maple so it will be the early/late season wood to burn. Will we notice much of a difference between using seasoned cherry vs seasoned ash? We are very happy with the cherry this year but we could stand to be happier! :)
The next year after that we have some pin oak that should be ready to go.

I have burned both seasoned Cherry and seasoned Ash and the Ash does put out a little more heat. Surprised how much I loved the Cherry though....was impressed with that wood! But Ash is a little better.

I agree ash and cherry are similar. You will have to pay attention to notice the difference, but I think Ash is better.

I always notice the difference when its cold and blowing. Doesn't matter as much the rest of the time.

muncybob said:
Last year being our first year of heating with wood we made the mistake of not being prepared with dry wood. Wasn't too bad but you live & learn.
This year we have been burning dry cherry all winter and found it to be a big difference.
For next year I have a mixture of maple, cherry and ash. Maple is soft maple so it will be the early/late season wood to burn. Will we notice much of a difference between using seasoned cherry vs seasoned ash? We are very happy with the cherry this year but we could stand to be happier! :)
The next year after that we have some pin oak that should be ready to go.

If you ever have a chance to get some sugar maple pounce on it, throws some nice btu's plus we're getting 10-12 hour burn times.

We burn over three cord of Cherry a year heating the house.

Zap

Cherry or ash? I'd take either. We usually don't notice much difference in burn time between the two.

White ash seems to burn a lot longer, but cherry seems to burn a lot hotter. When I'm around to feed the stove, cherry is my go-to wood. For an overnight, ash is better IMO.

All that, but I'm with Zap on the sugar maple. Better yet is beech, even better is black birch. Beech and black birch burn both very hot and very long, so are the very best I've tried so far for tons of heat output. With these two woods on hand cherry and ash play second fiddle, but over the years, cherry and ash have been easy to get and have proven to be totally satisfactory heating fuels.

Status
Not open for further replies.