can I find a good, efficient used wood stove for my barn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

21ronald

Dec 31, 2010
Delaware
I have recently built a pole shed that I plan on insulating in the next few years.

I have a supply of wood and am considering getting a used wood stove for heat.

I would like something that is energy efficient and clean burning but not expensive.

I have 1600 feet with 11' ceiling and attic which may be heated by default due to open stairway.

I also saw some stoves on a web site for around $300.00 but this seems too good to be true. Maybe these are lesser stoves?

Any help would be appreciated.

Also, I am wondering about the safety of leaving a woodstove unattended for periods of time.

I'm thinking that sometimes I will start the stove in the morning, leave and come back after its heated up. If I've got a temperature sensitive project, I may want to load the stove in the am, go to work and reload when I come home.

Is this safe?

Thanks.

Couple issues with your plan. First off don't now what will be in the barn but intermittent heating can cause terrible problems with metal sweating. Maybe not everytime but could happen quite often depending on temp difference and relative humidity. Second you'll have issues with the floor unless you pour concrete over insulation and third, unless you insulate and seal the barn real good you'll not be able to heat the space very well at all with any stove or other appliance. My neighbor has a machine shop he heats with wood. It is very warm all the time but he insulated walls and ceiling. His stove is just a plan old smoke monster you can find anywhere usually for way less than 300.00. He used to heat with a propane ceiling furnace and he kept it at about 60 in the winter. Now with the stove its 75-80 all the time and even the cast iron is warm to the touch.

Thanks for the input.

I do plan to insulate walls and ceiling and to seal up any cracks. Hopefully this will eliminate the sweating on the metal.

I have concrete but no insulation under it.

"smoke monster" Ha! I'm going to use that term and I'm not even going to give you credit for it! First time I've heard it...

Any problems with leaving it unattended?

Look for a deal on a mini caddy furnace near you. Just use it as a shop heater. Very efficient, very safe. The other thing you can do is look on Craigslist and post some options you find there and let folks here offer their opinions. We always seem to have one handy

You'll need a large stove with a blower for this task because you are not just heating the space. The stove will also need to take the place up in temperature several 10s of degrees until it can maintain a comfortable temp. Insulation will be a necessity. I would recommend a 3cu ft stove from Englander or Drolet. It'll run about $1K now, but watch the big box stores closely next month. By the end of January or beginning of February a lot of stores start clearing out stove inventory in preparation for spring garden dept. items. Check frequently, some good deals can be had here. Or, order online from www.overstockstoves.com or www.northlinexpress.com, www.dynamitebuys.com. Or watch for local craiglistings. I just saw a big Avalon selling for 650.

No problem leaving the stove for a while if it is correctly installed, though you don't want to do this when the stove is starting up unless it's just for a few minutes. As the wood ignites, you need to be watching the fire and temps and reducing air accordingly. Usually this is for the first 30 minutes or so. Once the air control is closed down, you can leave the stove for hours. The key to peace of mind is common sense, good wood and a safe installation.

If you can find a deal and the 3.4 firebox from Drolet (the sister stove of the Enerzone I heated my house with) in the $1k range as BG suggested, snag it. That would be a lot of stove and a very good value.

This decision isn't going to be easy... catalytic or non?

I think I'll start with a list of features that I would like:

1. Catalytic or non?
2. High efficiency, low pollution.
3. System to keep the glass clean.
4. Would be nice if I could get all of this in a stove that handles wood or coal (I have a good supply of wood now, but who knows what it will be in 5 years).
5. Pedestal or legs??

Thanks for the tips on the manufacturers - it has helped to narrow down the options a little. I am finding prices on line that are considerable better than at my local stove shop, though I'm not sure if I'm making a good comparison without knowing feature for feature.

wkpoor said:
don't now what will be in the barn but intermittent heating can cause terrible problems with metal sweating.
Hopefully his project involves plants, 'cause it will be raining in there. :eek:hh:

Status
Not open for further replies.