CAN I I.D. AN OLDER STIHL BY SERIAL # ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i have an older small model stihl and the only # is on the bottom of the handle,but it is the same # that is on a completely different tool (my buddy's farm boss 029) both have the # 311 on handle.....i tried looking it up for the heck of it and searched images,but couldn't find the model i have...i was able to get some #'s from the bar,which i think is original....#'s on bar are FJ305 & 5813, with a carlton/tiger chain # K3....if i can, i will upload a picture of the saw....i think i got a pretty good deal with this lil screamer ( $75.00) and would love to know what it is and when it was made....and if i did really get a good deal

Post a pic
Stihls can not be id'ed by ser #.But if you can find the part number of the air filter cover of recoil you can find out what family of saw it is.
The number will start with a group of 4 numbers like 1106 xxxx xxx.
Thomas

Reactions: TreePointer
Getting you closer....

The 029 should be from 1993 to 1999 (when the 029S was introduced). Shortly afterwards, the 290 appeared.

The 029 (54.1cc) and 029s (56.5cc) are 1127 series saws.

i found the #'s on the cover, and cross referenced online and it is in fact a 026.....it doesn't have any caps on the adjustment screws, is in great shape, and for it's weight, it has some good power

...as for the 029 farmboss,that is my buddy's saw that he let me use.....i think it was left for 3 years with gas still in the tank....runs good when level, leaks when on it's side.....and it burps after being shut off.....so, i'm not using it

...as for the 029 farmboss,that is my buddy's saw that he let me use.....i think it was left for 3 years with gas still in the tank....runs good when level, leaks when on it's side.....and it burps after being shut off.....so, i'm not using it

The vent tube is probably broken off at the tank. Should be easy to fix. not sure on the burping.

I've got an 044 in a box here that I have to try to get together someday when I can find the time. Couldn't for the life of me find a serial # on it anywhere even with it being partly disassembled.

Status
Not open for further replies.