Can I install a hot water convection loop to my FP insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bruceierace

Feb 21, 2008
Northwoods WI
I have a masonry FP with a dog of an insert front and center of the main level of the living room/dining room. The house is your basic northwoods cathedral with a loft and the walkout basement is finished rooms in use for a total floor space of about 1600 sf. I'm going to trash out the dog and replace it with a PE insert. I would like to somehow supply the basement rooms with heat from the new unit. One idea that I have is a hot water convection loop originating as a copper spiral around the first few feet of a single wall flue where it exits out the top of the insert and network into some baseboard radiator units. Can this be done?

Welcome to the forum and to the boiler room.

Convection only works if the heat source is lower than the heat 'sink'. It's based on the 'heat rises' principle - hot water is less dense than cold water.

A basement heat source could heat something on the first floor, for instance.

Status
Not open for further replies.