Can I install a metal roof?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beno

Feb 26, 2007
Hi there,

We would like to install a metal roof but I am concerned with the fact that the chimney sweeper may damage it while cleaning the insulated chimneys. We will have a Napoleon cook stove and a Caddy wood/electric furnace. Anybody here has experience with metal roofs, and how appropriate are they when you heat with wood?

Thanks again,
Beno

I have metal roof, and as far as I can tell there is zero issue with it related to wood burning and chimney cleaning. If you went with a traditional thin standing seam, I supposed a careless sweep could step on a seam and bend it, but that is pretty unlikely. Also if you went with a colored rood there might be potential for scratching. Aside from that a properly installed quality metal roof will hold up better than wood shakes or asphalt when it comes to foot traffic. I have heard that you need to be careful with exposed fastener metal roofs, specifically with stepping on the fasteners, but I have no experience with that. Metal is slick, and depending on your roof it could make chimney access more difficult. I mostly clean my Excel pipe from the inside, but I can still access my cap easily via the roof.

I have multiple painted roofs. No problem laying ladder on metal for work.

Status
Not open for further replies.