Can i install an OAK thru the sub floor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Silenced38

Feeling the Heat
Apr 11, 2014
Southeast Oklahoma
Can i install an OAK thru the sub floor?
My 1500 sqft ranch is sitting on a sub floor. About 2 ft to the ground.
The stove is in the middle house. With no access to an outside wall.

Absolutely. Go through the subfloor, then take it across the crawl to an outside wall. If its a ventilated crawl then it can be taken from there in most cases.

Last edited:
Running the duct under the floor and up to the stove would be fine. I presume that the entry from outside would be below floor level also. The outside hood ought to have a rodent screen, of course, and if the area might get a lot of snow in winter you might want the entry to be raised up a bit. Also, I'd slip duct insulation over the inside portion of the duct, to minimize the cooling effect on the crawl space of the cold outside air coming through.

I have a similar size home, stove in the middle. I dropped the OAK inlet straight down into the ventilated crawlspace. It is really the ideal location for an OAK inlet since it is unable to be blocked by snow or leaves or kids. Unaffected by the winds that some people seem to worry about. Also the temperature of your crawl should be warmer than the outside air. Also, I like the idea of "forcing" the turnover of air from the crawl to keep it dry and fresh.

Lastly, the elevation. This might seem odd but the vertical OAK seems to act like additional chimney length. You will probably notice that air from the crawl rises up through the OAK to supercharge the stove. I had to cap mine off until I hooked it to the stove.

Attachments

• stovehearth.jpg
    stovehearth.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 161
You just extend the intake down until you are below the insulation. No need to run it out to the wall. This is a ventilated crawlspace correct? Lots of folks are used to basements and unfamiliar with ventilated crawlspaces. I did screen my inlet but I still don't know why.

You just extend the intake down until you are below the insulation. No need to run it out to the wall. This is a ventilated crawlspace correct? Lots of folks are used to basements and unfamiliar with ventilated crawlspaces. I did screen my inlet but I still don't know why.
Yes it is ventilated. And under pinned. Thanks for the replies. Thats what i was wanting to know.

Yes it is ventilated. And under pinned. Thanks for the replies. Thats what i was wanting to know.
FWIW, I'll just pile on here. Mine just penetrates the floor to the crawl space and it's not only the most convenient place, but also the best place, being sheltered.

Hey 38, just wondering why you're considering putting in the OAK. Having draft issues with your Madison?

Hey 38, just wondering why you're considering putting in the OAK. Having draft issues with your Madison?
I think ive got a little bit of negative pressure. I can tell it burns a little different if i open a window or if the dryer is running.
It seems to me that if it can draw its air from outside, that it wont be drawing cold air into the house. And i just think the stove will breathe easier.

For what its worth here is my two cents.

I have sealed off all the vents in my crawl as I believe in most cases they harm much more than help (since I have done this the humidity in my house has gone down considerably)

As I don't have an airtight house I don't really need outside combustion, however I am going to hook up outside air, run it through my crawl and tap into the cold air returns in the rooms that are furthest from the stove. This will allow natural convection to heat those rooms.

Rather than sucking in the warm air you've already paid to heat, OAK will draw in air from outside reducing drafts caused by air finding it's way in to replace the combustion air being pumped out the vent.

Without getting too far off topic, an improperly designed outside air intake connected directly to your stove can be worse than a poorly designed chimney.

Pressure differentials on the exterior of your house can cause a back draft situation in the system and really cause a mess.

The air you have already heated actually helps with a more efficient burn in your stove which in turn will use less wood.

And purely from a convection standpoint, air needs to move or it will stagnate. The coldest air in your house will be at floor level, which is where the intake for your stove is located.

Status
Not open for further replies.