Can I install return air grill on ceiling close to stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RISurfer20

May 12, 2007
Just wondering if I can install a return air grill on the ceiling in front of the wood stove? Does this violate any codes? I have a forced hot air system and wonder if placing the return air close to the stove would help distribute warm air. Thinking of placing the grill three feet infront of the stove on the ceiling which is seven feet up. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

RISurfer20 said:
Just wondering if I can install a return air grill on the ceiling in front of the wood stove? Does this violate any codes? I have a forced hot air system and wonder if placing the return air close to the stove would help distribute warm air. Thinking of placing the grill three feet infront of the stove on the ceiling which is seven feet up. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

No
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/13566/

Question: does it comply with the code if it has the feature of shutting down hard if there is a fire: I think they call it a fire stop damper vent....?

Of course you can do it but the code will require a certain distance. What if you had a one room cabin with forced air heat? I could see a benefit to having the return air grill as close as code allows to the stove.

I beleive a return air duct cannot be within 10' of a solid fuel heating device. Not sure but I think thats what Elk used to say when people came up with this idea.

I've heard the 10' figure too. Now is that horizontal feet or as the crow flies?

Hmm... I didn't know that. Is that 10 feet across the floor or a direct line from the stove to the vent?

I have a return vent high on the wall near my stove. I'd have to measure, but I'm pretty sure it isn't 10 feet.

The thermostat is also within 10 feet of the stove too. If the stove is running, the furnace won't be. Would that make any difference?

-SF

Thanks for the info. I guess I will measure from the top right corner of the stove on a diagnal out 10 feet to the ceiling?

Same here sly. both the furnace and woodstove will not be running at the same time.

It doesnt mater if they will both be running at the same time and I think its 10' horizontal. By the way in most reported attempts at this it does not work because there is too much cooling through the duct work. Moving colder air from the remote areas towards the stove works better.

nshif said:
It doesnt mater if they will both be running at the same time and I think its 10' horizontal. By the way in most reported attempts at this it does not work because there is too much cooling through the duct work. Moving colder air from the remote areas towards the stove works better.
I agree one hundred percent. I'm installing a vent with a duct booster fan to distribute the warm air from the stove to a bedroom upstairs, but the duct will only be about 2' long, and insulated, so heat loss will be minimal. Are you talking about the furnace running, or just the blower on the furnace? If the furnace is running, it certainly won't matter because the furnace is heating the air anyways.

I plan on just running the blower on the furnace to help get air out of the first floor. I figure I will measure ten feet from the corner of the stove to the ceiling.

swestall said:
Question: does it comply with the code if it has the feature of shutting down hard if there is a fire: I think they call it a fire stop damper vent....?

I don't think so. There is not an exception in the code for fire dampers in return systems. Come to think of it, that could actually damage the heating system if this was the only return.

Status
Not open for further replies.