Can I just use starting gel?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rehabbingisgreen

Sep 29, 2010
Missouri
We purchased a used Englander 25-PDVC pellet stove. We finally got it installed and I did run it twice ( a few hours each time with no problems) after the initial dry run went well. Everything was working fine and now I tried to start it and the auto igniter is not getting hot at all. Pellets are feeding and everything else seems to be going fine otherwise. Can I just buy some stater gel and use it to start it until we can get around to buying another auto igniter to put in it? Any problems there or is that ok?

Welcome to the forum.

Yes, you can use the starter gel and a match to start it, or, as some folks on here do, use a propane torch.

ETA: You didn't by any chance set the stove into thermostat mode and have no 'stat hooked up?

Oh thank you so much! Tomorrow I go to the store to buy ignition material. I don't think I did, everything seems to be the same. Heat set on 1 and fan on 2 and then S and U on start up. Only thing I've messed with is on and off buttons so far.

Cheap hand sanitizer from the dollar store will work just fine as a "starter gel" too.

I've been using hand sanitizer for the same reason... (I know there's a joke here somewhere!)....

krooser said:
I've been using hand sanitizer for the same reason... (I know there's a joke here somewhere!)....

Good to know. Well sort of. Not that we have to, but that it works!

I'm in the propane torch club.

I use a push button start torch on a standard small bottle. I get about 2 seasons out of a propane bottle and it works great.

Throw in a handful of pellets to the burn pot, hit them with the torch flame for ~ 10 seconds. Then close the door and wait for heat.

My stove has no auto-igniter. Been doing this for years.

Good Luck,
---Nailer---

nailed_nailer said:
I'm in the propane torch club.

I use a push button start torch on a standard small bottle. I get about 2 seasons out of a propane bottle and it works great.

Throw in a handful of pellets to the burn pot, hit them with the torch flame for ~ 10 seconds. Then close the door and wait for heat.

My stove has no auto-igniter. Been doing this for years.

Good Luck,
---Nailer---

Thanks for the info. That sounds easy enough to give a shot too :)

Here's a pic just after I hit the gel with a match...
mushroomcloud.gif

I've been having the same issue....sometimes it starts sometimes it doesn't. Only mine is new. I feel bad calling in for a new ignitor because I've already had to call about 2 other issues. But I like the sanitizer idea.

Clarksfan1 said:
I've been having the same issue....sometimes it starts sometimes it doesn't. Only mine is new. I feel bad calling in for a new ignitor because I've already had to call about 2 other issues. But I like the sanitizer idea.

if the igniter glows ,even if its not lighting the fuel its not the igniter , call me and im sure i can get it to work for ya

EDIT oops forgot the phone # 800-245-6489 im in from 8-5 eastern time monday through friday

stoveguy2esw said:
Clarksfan1 said:

if the igniter glows ,even if its not lighting the fuel its not the igniter , call me and im sure i can get it to work for ya

EDIT oops forgot the phone # 800-245-6489 im in from 8-5 eastern time monday through friday

My guts says the same thing Mike said. The igniter is sort of an all-or-nothing item - either it glows and works, or don't.

Mike is the man, so call him and get it straightened out.

SmokeyTheBear said:
Sigh,

I see the wife hasn't revoked your access to the nuclear waste dump.

Thank God...it's where I store my old skivvies...

A shot of alcohol mixed in to a cup a pellets works too.

~*~vvv~*~ said:
Turbo-Quad said:
flammable liquids are out of bounds, thats why my K2 posts get pulled.

correct , liquid fire starters should NEVER be used to light a pellet stove, the gel is made to be stable and not go "boom" like K-2 or lighter fluid can do

stoveguy2esw said:
~*~vvv~*~ said:
Turbo-Quad said:
flammable liquids are out of bounds, thats why my K2 posts get pulled.

correct , liquid fire starters should NEVER be used to light a pellet stove, the gel is made to be stable and not go "boom" like K-2 or lighter fluid can do
gassification explosion can result from other than flammable liquids & so i believe understanding the science is most important + practice makes perfect

Well its been an acceptable way to start corn stoves anyway. Maybe pellets stoves are different.

Turbo-Quad said:
Well its been an acceptable way to start corn stoves anyway. Maybe pellets stoves are different.

Could ya point us to a stove owners manual for a corn stove that says flammable liquids are OK for starting the stove.

Thanks

Well the gel was a success tonight. After the minor large fire in the hole fiasco from too many pellets on fire. My igniter glows no more.

Wonder how many watt's it take to run a igniter?, 1500?,, kinda like a big solder iron or curling iron?

Status
Not open for further replies.