Can I learn anything from the ash my fire is leaving?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

davidmsem

Minister of Fire
Oct 30, 2014
New haven, Connecticut
Hello!

Some of my wood burns down to fluffy grey/white ash that is like a powder. Some burns down but with at least double the volume and is black and has black cubes of 1"x1" (some larger) chucks that do not burn down further unless I run the air wide open. When the stuff that burns down to grey/white, I empty the insert about once every 5 days or so. When I burn the stuff that leaves these black chunks behind I have to empty every day to two.

Usually run 450 when choked down (IR face temperature).

Is the difference in the type of wood, or that some is dryer than others?

Thoughts?

David

Last edited:
Probably higher moisture content on larger splits or loading to large to soon. Just my speculation

Very interesting question. It kind of makes you wonder. Wouldn't it be nice if after you got back from a day on the road there would be just moon dust? But no. Lumps of coal and moon dust. But truly, it is an interesting question as to why.

Well, if you let it burn out completely and cool all the way and open the door without disturbing anything, there's lots to be learned. A good wood ash reader can tell not only the type of tree, but the size, age, and season which it was cut, as well as its mood and general health at the time it was cut. Takes years to master, but most impressive to witness!
Lots of lumps, either wet wood or poor air flow (buried in ash before they burnt ) some people find things that look like gem stones (forget what they're called, clinkers?) haven't see any yet...

Reactions: Chuck the Canuck
Well, if you let it burn out completely and cool all the way and open the door without disturbing anything, there's lots to be learned. A good wood ash reader can tell not only the type of tree, but the size, age, and season which it was cut, as well as its mood and general health at the time it was cut. Takes years to master, but most impressive to witness!
Lots of lumps, either wet wood or poor air flow (buried in ash before they burnt ) some people find things that look like gem stones (forget what they're called, clinkers?) haven't see any yet...

I just checked my ash, and all my trees were in a bad mood and poor health at the time they were cut. :/

Maybe I should move somewhere with more cheerful trees!

Very interesting question. It kind of makes you wonder. Wouldn't it be nice if after you got back from a day on the road there would be just moon dust? But no. Lumps of coal and moon dust. But truly, it is an interesting question as to why.
Great profile picture! I love Vermont, ski Okemos, my favorite here in New England.

Status
Not open for further replies.