Can I make use of this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mwhitnee

Minister of Fire
Jun 10, 2015
Central Mass, USA
It's an old peavey, just needs a handle?

Attachments

• 20150720_194208.jpg
    20150720_194208.jpg
    578.1 KB · Views: 208
  • 20150720_194213.jpg
    20150720_194213.jpg
    405.2 KB · Views: 208
Reactions: chazcarr
It'll need a spike for the end, too, but I don't see why you couldn't use it. The company is still in business, so maybe they could help you out.

Reactions: pen
Did you speak to the folks at http://peaveymfg.com/

Or get some wood and use some basic tools and see what you can come up with.

For my last one a student I know who was taking wood shop used ash and made a handle that was "close" in size for mine (he kept it big so I could finish it for a good fit). I finished just by using a draw knife to get a good fit down into the metal, some sand paper on the upper, exposed portion, and just gave it an oil finish.

One could make the handle thinner like the ones generally seen in the store, but I wanted this one beefy, and the young man made it as such!

peavey.jpg

Doesn't need to be pretty to get the job done. This one used to be owned by a buddy of mine and was lost in the woods 6 or 7 years ago. I stumbled across it and went to give it back to him (handle was almost completely rotted off, but it was rough and rotted when we were still using it years back) when he said he just found a new one of his own with his dozer while doing some work at a new piece of property he purchased that was all metal and didn't need it.

Been serving me well since, just took a little bit getting used to that thick handle, but now I really like.

I like the peavey too (spike on the end instead of being blunt) as it stands there waiting for me to use it.

Call up the company and see what they have that'll fit, or be creative and make something up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jon1270
It's an old peavey, just needs a handle?

I have a similar situation, the price of a new quality handle is outrageous - might as well just buy a new pevy. Mine was from Northern Tool 20 years ago.

I was at a garage sale awhile back and there were six of them without handles for sale. The homeowner would look for old logging camps and would find them and other goodies.

I have a lathe at work and could make a handle. The biggest challenge is finding an appropriately large chunk of dry wood. I recently cut some ash blanks to ro re-handle a set of pruning loppers, but if I were to charge ahead and turn those handles now, they'd loosen up inside of a month or so.

I have a lathe at work and could make a handle. The biggest challenge is finding an appropriately large chunk of dry wood. I recently cut some ash blanks to ro re-handle a set of pruning loppers, but if I were to charge ahead and turn those handles now, they'd loosen up inside of a month or so.

The handle from mine was made from a couple of inch thick ash boards that were glued with biscuits, then put on the lathe.

The handle from mine was made from a couple of inch thick ash boards that were glued with biscuits, then put on the lathe.

Yeah, I could glue one up if I needed to. Guess I'm feeling a bit purist about my imaginary handleless peavey.

Reactions: pen
The buddy who let me keep this tool of his that I found in the woods, will someday find the one I lost when helping him with a job on his father's property!

A good many of these things are lost, found, and re-used. As it should be!

In all, had it not been for the kid I knew that took on the small woodshop project for me, I would have been going for a branch to hone down and make this thing work again.

No need to dress these things up for a date, just good to put an old piece of iron back in service.

No need to dress these things up for a date...

Heh. That's a phrase I'll have to keep in my back pocket for special occasions.

Status
Not open for further replies.