Can I oil a Harmon XXV combustion motor?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrbean1025

Mar 21, 2007
Southern New Hampshire
I tried a search and couldn't locate anything on it. Last night I started hearing an odd noise coming from the combustion motor (I took the back off and it is definitely the combustion motor). It is not a high pitch sound and is not constant. I was wondering if maybe there is a way to oil it as something may be drying out. The stove was completely cleaned about 2 weeks ago with the motors being removed and cleaned as well.

I tried a search and couldn't locate anything on it. Last night I started hearing an odd noise coming from the combustion motor (I took the back off and it is definitely the combustion motor). It is not a high pitch sound and is not constant. I was wondering if maybe there is a way to oil it as something may be drying out. The stove was completely cleaned about 2 weeks ago with the motors being removed and cleaned as well.

Mine has sealed berrings(PB 105) and as far as I know sealed berrings cannot be lubed.. If they are bushings...my preference would be a graphite based lube.

I have the "sealed" ball bearing type motors in my stove, but always run some oil into and around them anyway. 4 winters on the motor and no noises <crosses fingers...LOL>.

If that doesn't help, and you're somewhat handy, you could take the motor apart & replace the bearings. Usually not too hard to find locally. (bearing supply.....Grainger, etc)

Reactions: iceguy4
I have the "sealed" ball bearing type motors in my stove, but always run some oil into and around them anyway. 4 winters on the motor and no noises <crosses fingers...LOL>.

If that doesn't help, and you're somewhat handy, you could take the motor apart & replace the bearings. Usually not too hard to find locally. (bearing supply.....Grainger, etc)

My guess is your not getting the oil where it needs to go ...plus your adding something that attracts dust to areas where it can do the most harm...hence why I prefer graphite lubes...Dry graphite...No flame intended;em also replacing the berrings is an easy task for even the most un- mechanically inclined person.

Im with imacman. I've done my "sealed" bearings for 5 seasons in my Quad and no noises, sounds, or I'll effects.

The "seal" isn't a true seal. It's just a dust cover. It can be easily gotten around with a needle, or just put on the end and spun. The oil does get sucked in.

Use an SAE 20 oil (3-n-1 oil in the blue can, rated for electric motors) and it can't hurt. I do mine twice a year. Mid season and end of season.

Status
Not open for further replies.