Can I paint firebox? pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ymurf

Jan 8, 2012
Missouri
I took all the firebrick out of my Quadrafire 7100 tonight to give it a good cleaning.Its been sitting a couple years and want to check the blower under the firebox..The fire box has surface rust on the bottom.I vacuumed everything good and took a screwdriver and scraped it good to get the loose stuff off.I dont have a wire brush. Can this be painted before I put the firebrick back in or should it be painted? If so what do you suggest I use? Any help would be appreciated before I put it back together.
100_0650.jpg

100_0651.jpg

Is there water coming down the chimney? Or was this stove stored outside for a while?

As far as a fire rated paint, I don't know of one. All the high heat paints I've used always say that they cannot be in direct contact with flame.

pen

Do you live in a really drafty house located in the middle of a swamp? I mean, I know Missouri gets humid, but damn.

Do you live in a really drafty house located in the middle of a swamp? I mean, I know Missouri gets humid, but damn.
The guy I bought it from bought it new and used it two seasons before he took it out of his log house.He said he couldnt get it to heat his house but he had allot hooked up wrong. He had two heat zone kits and had the fans mounted right on the fireplace instead of having the fans mounted in the rooms he wanted heat to go to.Plus he was using a fireplace grate instead of burning right on top of the firebrick. He should have paid for installation instead of installing it himself I think. Plus he never had good seasoned dry wood. So he never got the heat out of it that he wanted. He removed it and left the ashes in it and it has sat on his covered deck for two years. So it had a roof over it but still was outside.I need to paint the outside also. The doors have surface rust also just not near as much as the firebox under the ash and brick. What should I do if anything? Paint it? put the brick back in like it is? I am soaking the little screws with pb blaster for a day before I try to remove them to check the blower thats under the firebox.

Hello

Yes, I painted my firebox!

Attachments

• AvalonAstoriaFireBoxBeforePainting.jpg
    AvalonAstoriaFireBoxBeforePainting.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 285
  • AvalonAstoriaFireBoxAfterPainting.jpg
    AvalonAstoriaFireBoxAfterPainting.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 289
Well, a pellet stove is not quite the same things, but go ahead and paint it with high temp stove paint after cleaning out the rust. I don't know if the firebrick will protect the metal behind enough, but it won't hurt. You might want to take an awl and probe for any rusted through areas. I'd also pull the blower and clean it thorough, then lube the motor.

Well, a pellet stove is not quite the same things, but go ahead and paint it with high temp stove paint after cleaning out the rust. I don't know if the firebrick will protect the metal behind enough, but it won't hurt. You might want to take an awl and probe for any rusted through areas. I'd also pull the blower and clean it thorough, then lube the motor.
Took screw driver and also a hammer and didnt see any holes or weak spots. What should I paint with?

Took screw driver and also a hammer and didnt see any holes or weak spots. What should I paint with?

I use VHT Flame Proof auto paint for car headers. Only good to 2300 Deg F. :)

Before you paint.

Put a wire wheel on your drill driver and get the creasote and rust blisters down, then put emory cloth on your palm sander to get the metal smooth. Then take a rag and Acetone to clean up all the rust and oils. Go over it 3 times to get it clean so the paint will stick.

Then just spray paint it. :)
Remember 2 light coat are better than 1 heavy coat of paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.