Can I Paint My Stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

G-rott

Jan 7, 2006
Petoskey Michigan
OK I know I can, but will it look like I painted it? It's a Morso 2110 and the stove black color is great when it's clean. But It's not clean most of the winter. The flat black color and texture attracts ash like a magnet.

I'd like to do a satin black on the body and a semi on the ash lip and the top surface.

What prep steps are needed?
Who makes the "right" paint.
Is this a DIY project?
What are your thoughts?

OH yes, it's burning now so this is a Spring project.

Thanks Garett

Stove Bright makes an assortment of hi-temp paints in various colors & finishes.
Light sanding to scuff the existing finish - unless you've got a LOT of rust - should
be all that's needed to prep for painting. It's definitely a DIY project.
Just don't apply the coats too thickly or it'll run & look less than professional...
Definitely wanna have some windows open, or you'll get a MAJOR buzz!
Gonna have a smoky first fire in the fall, but the fumes aren't as toxic as the paint itself...

Status
Not open for further replies.