Can I partially insert a freestanding stove into the fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bclunde

Jan 3, 2008
San Diego
I've been reading, researching and calling some local dealers and now I'd like to get your input... I'd like to do some supplemental heating with wood, but it's pretty small scale since I'm in San Diego. (We actually have had frost a few times this year so far, but no snow yet.)

I was originally considering Hearthstone Homestead or Tribute, but now I'm thinking cast iron would be better for the early morning and evening extra heat we'd want. I'm not so fond of the look of the inserts - kinda like a TV, and I don't really want to mask out the fireplace with the surround panels. So, I would like to insert a freestanding stove partially into the existing fireplace.

With a Jotul Nordic QT, I think I could put the short legs on the back, the longer legs in the front (I have roughly 2 inches of firebrick on the bottom of the firebox) and then slide it in far enough to get the necessary front clearance on the exiting hearth. Is it a problem to have the stove right under the lintel? If 3/4 of the stove was in the fireplace, would it still heat the room well? Is there increased risk of overfiring with all the heat being reflected back from the firebricks?

Thanks for your advice and input.

Attachments

• fireplace_measured.JPG
    fireplace_measured.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 498
Yes you can. As long as you can meet the non-combustible installation specs and the stove Mfg' doesn't prohibit it... you are very much on the right track. Put that stove in and avoid the insert... your family will love ya for it.

Look at the photo section in this forum... you may get some great ideas and see how they look.

Welcome aboard and good luck.

I talked to another chimney sweep today and got a referral to a guy who is supposed to be the best in town for the quirky installs. I'll be calling him soon.

Thanks again for your comments.

The rear of my HS Homestead sits just outside the opening of my fireplace. However I'm using it for 24/7 heat and have the surround etc. Looks like a nice fireplace and I'm sure you'll find a stove that will work for you.

I've just completed a similiar install and am new to woodburning. I posted similiar question when in planning stage. I put the lopi republic 1750 into the fireplace sticks out about 3-4", stove is 23 1/2" deep. Got a bunch of good ides and help here. put in new ss liner with full insulation into masonary chimney, put in block off plate with insulation above it.

i think the stove is working great. i loaded er up last night at 11, actually was afraid it was overfiring, so i watched it till thermometer was down to 650, damped it down and/ went to bead. i was able to get fire going from the coals at 9am today. my problem is i can get l/r up to 80 but can't get heat out of l/r, upstairs is 60. i have blower unit on stove, but I think all the heat is trapped in fireplace, but what do i know. looking for help myself.

So now it's installed - thanks for your feedback on this thread... and lots of other info I picked up around the site.

Attachments

• Jotul Installed.JPG
    Jotul Installed.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 321
  • Break in Fire.JPG
    Break in Fire.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 336
Nice looking install.

Status
Not open for further replies.