Can I pull the logs out of a B Vent Gas Insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jerbark

May 21, 2010
Bay Area, Calif.
A friend is getting rid of their B Vent Gas insert for free.

I don't want a B vent because of the gas back into the room problem. A Direct vent is too expensive ($2,500 +) and since I live in California, heating the room isn't a huge consideration. What we'd like is just the gas logs (we already have the gas line installed for our wood burning FP) and a glass front/screen for our existing wood burning FP.

I've checked out the prices for the gas attachment + the logs and it's about $500 PLUS the screen/glass doors is another $400-$700, which seems really high.

My questions is: Can I pull apart the B vent insert that my friend is giving away and just use the the logs out of it? What about the gas attachment itself? Are they usually removable i.e. could I also salvage that and then I've just have to buy the doors?

Thanks! Jerolyn

I think the short answer is no.
That setup is designed to be used with a sealed front, and the logs and burner are balanced to that amount of air and exhaust as well as the firebox size.

Also, keep in mind that fireplace doors cannot be used (closed) in conjunction with gas logs. You'll have to keep the doors opened if you buy them - so a screen might suffice and will save you a lot of money.

If you simply want to install gas logs into your wood burning fireplace - and you are on a tight budget, you can find some bargain brand setups starting at about $100.
http://www.amazon.com/LOG-SET-CNCRT-CFTGLOW-Misc/dp/B000UFR0QW
You probably have to add a safety pilot kit (suggested - and often required), which runs about another $100-$150

If the gas line is already at the fireplace, your installation costs should be minimal.

Status
Not open for further replies.