Can I put plastic pallets directly on a ground?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
I'm in a process of switching from storing wood on wooden pallets to plastic ones. Can I put plastic pallets directly on a ground. Wondering if they are going to deteriorate because of that .

Why not?

It takes roughly 450 years for a water bottle to decompose. Those pallets ain't gunna degrade in your lifetime. The hardest thing on them is the sun probably. I set mine on the ground anyhow.

It takes roughly 450 years for a water bottle to decompose. Those pallets ain't gunna degrade in your lifetime. The hardest thing on them is the sun probably. I set mine on the ground anyhow.
That’s a music to my ears . My place for firewood surrounded by trees from two sides . Always ended up with leafs and debris under pallets , eventually affecting wood

Reactions: Dix and Grizzerbear
That’s a music to my ears . My place for firewood surrounded by trees from two sides . Always ended up with leafs and debris under pallets , eventually affecting wood
I hear ya. Had the same problem myself on several stacks in my back yard with lots of trees when I used wood pallets. Subterranean termites are bad here and I got tired of dealing with ate up rotten pallets. Never again.

Reactions: Dmitry
Do you have a leaf blower? Might be an easy way to keep the leaves away from your firewood.

A while back we were cleaning fence rows and uncovered some fertilizer bags from back in the 60s. Plastic bags, 60 yrs later, looked like new, buried the whole time. They looked something like polyethylene. They also make vinyl fence posts, and of course vinyl siding.
UV may have more of an effect than ground contact.

Reactions: SpaceBus and Dmitry
Like most here I used wood pallets for years. The bottoms were mostly gone in the 3-5 years, when I got back to burning the wood. Never used a pallet twice. Also it's a project cutting them up and burning in the fire pit. I couldn't find free plastic pallets. Are there pockets in those pallets that can hold water? If so you need to drill drain holes.

I've been converting to 3 inch PVC pipe for some years. Back to the second set of wood on the original pipes. So far it's perfect. Actually just rebuilt my under deck burn pile to pipes. I have no wood pallets being used for wood storage.