1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Can I remove the firebricks from the sides of a Lopi Answer/

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Joey1boy, Oct 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joey1boy

Joey1boy New Member

Hello: I've only just registered at this forum, but I used it last year and have again used it this year for great information about wood burning.
    My question: I got a Lopi Answer last year that I use as an insert in my existing fireplace, with a 6" ss liner. I like the stove - easy to use and burns nicely, but it is small inside - it only takes 16" logs. Can I remove the firebricks from the sides? That would aallow me to use logs in the 18-19" length, and would likely add burn time.
    I have another question, but I posted it separately.
    Thanks to all the good folks at hearth.com. - Kelly

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Corie

Corie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Halifax, VA
    no. The bricks are there because of their insulating value. They protect the exterior walls of the stove from more extreme temperatures and ultimately increase the likelihood of your stove lastings many, many years.

If they weren't necessary, the would not have been a part of the design when it was drawn up. Your best bet when it comes to stoves is to just leave them alone. They should not be modified or changed in any way to "better" suit your needs. Chances are a modification will make the stove less safe to operate.
  3. Marty

Marty Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Pittsburgh
    Unless you have acess to some lightly used space shuttle tiles.
  4. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    As Corie says they protect the outer stove body from extreme heat. They also hold heat in the stove for operating efficiency. You would probably end up with longer burns alright. Smokey smoldering long burns since you probably would have to fire the crap out of the stove to get secondary combustion without the insulating value of the firebrick.

In a word, don't. You paid too much money for that pup not to get the best burn you can out of it. And the longest life.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.