can I repair a clay flue section?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kwikrp

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
SE Mass
I have an interior chimney 25 foot with 8x8 clay flue interior is 7x7. And where the stove connects they used a terra cotta crock (thimble) the section of clay flue were the thimble connects is cracked. The rest of the chimney is in good condition the top 8 feet was rebuilt 5 years ago. In between each section of terra cotta flue is about 1/2 inch of cement. I was talking to a mason and he said he could break and chisel out the broken piece of flue and replace with a new section. Is this possible ?

you could always patch it w/ some heat stop

Should I use a metal mess screen to cover hole and then put the heat stop over that, like patching a hole in plaster using tape ?

Status
Not open for further replies.