Can I replace my fireplace with a wood stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ffdavid

Nov 28, 2016
snickers
So I have never installed a wood stove and don't know much about the rules/instalation process. I do however know a good amount about construction. Basically I want to replace this fireplace(picture link below) with a wood stove. I'm thinking I'll get a mobile home certified wood stove so I don't have to worry about putting up brick on the wall behind it. I'm looking for some advice and tips on how to do it. I guess the most important thing is will this chimney work with a wood stove? It's a 9" outside diameter. I've read that you can get adapters for the size that comes off of the stove. To make it more complicated I'm looking to buy a used one.

Any and all advice and tips are welcome!

Thank you very much!

83b351621af3623f792e376060cc23ee.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome. The first thing you will need to find out is whether the chimney pipe is class A high temperature chimney. If the OD is 9" you may be in luck if this is 7" class A chimney, but that needs to be verified. A certified chimney sweep can do that for you as well as check the safety and integrity of the current install. If it is class A HT then it could be used for a wood stove with a 6 or 7" flue outlet, but it may need extending if not tall enough.

For a woodstove you will be looking for a model with close clearances. The hearth may need extending or replacing to accommodate clearance requirements. That does not necessarily mean it will be mobile home qualified. Those rules are a bit different. First find out what the chimney is and how tall it is from the ceiling to the cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.