Can I store wood for next year in basement?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you can, but someone else on this forum tried that and I think it created a good bit of moisture in his home. There is a thread about it somewhere.

That sounds scary but his situation sounds like there is something else goin on there.I will not be putting all this wood in the basement all at once,maybe over a 3 month period.I am going to stack it on pallets for circulation which should dry it out pretty fast.In the spring when I cut this wood I will probably have my windows open for a couple of weeks anyway,so I dont think there will be a problem.

Kind of depends on the humidity of your basement. Not knowing that I would think you'd be far better off stacking it outside where sun and wind can get at it.

I used to stack dry wood only in the fall in my basement and would run a dehumidifier for a week or two,

Agree with the above post. If your basement gets any kind of water or moisture, it will find its way to the wood.
DeHumidifier couple times a week is the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.