Can I toss a bag 'o pellets inot my Englander ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokeyCity

Feeling the Heat
Mar 6, 2011
Western Pa
w/out hurting it ?

Got a free bag and figured I'd ask (before I do it anyway ... as if you didn't know that already )

Sure. Throw your cat in there too. Both will smolder.

A handful at a time actually makes a pretty nice flame on top of coals. The pellets that is. Not the cat.

Best to burn them in a "Basket" of sorts. So air can get underneath them.

Just thrown on the floor of the stove will yield sub-par results. Unless you have a large coal bed.

I have a little scooper that I scoop about a cups worth into the very front of the stove. Helps get the "Cigar Burn" off to a good start.

If using a large amount. I would suggest a basket. Even if its homemade. A few here have done it already.

To get rid of saw dust from the shop, I go out with a sheet of newspaper and scoop up about as much as will fit and still allow me to make a 'package'. I chuck the whole newspaper 'bag' in the stove over a bed of fresh hot coals and watch the secondary flame show begin. I suppose you could do the same thing with pellets...they would probably burn even better than sawdust.

A whole 50# bag might be a bit much, but I can't see that 4-5 pounds at a time over a good coal bed would hurt anything. Though without the coal bed, they will likely just smoulder.

I bought a couple bags of pellets earlier in the season more out curiousity than anything else. Still haven't gone through one bag yet. Only toss in a scoop or 2 now and then on bed of coals. Seems to burn ok like that.

cozy heat said:
To get rid of saw dust from the shop, I go out with a sheet of newspaper and scoop up about as much as will fit and still allow me to make a 'package'. I chuck the whole newspaper 'bag' in the stove over a bed of fresh hot coals and watch the secondary flame show begin. I suppose you could do the same thing with pellets...they would probably burn even better than sawdust.

A whole 50# bag might be a bit much, but I can't see that 4-5 pounds at a time over a good coal bed would hurt anything. Though without the coal bed, they will likely just smoulder.

I just emptied 30# from my wood dust collector bag a few weeks ago, I might try that. I really didn't like throwing it away.

To the OP a pellet basket is really needed. Do they work? Yes, but just ok.

Do a search and you will find a few links for them.

I fabbed one up just to try it. It is now a conversation piece in the basement.

Attachments

• DSC09880.jpg
    DSC09880.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 455
  • DSC09881.jpg
    DSC09881.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 442
I"ll bet that bag of pellets was thrown in at 12:15 am..... :lol:
Just a feeling... :smirk:

Tell us Smokey how it worked out...

Why can't I get the image of a smoldering cat out of my head? :shut:

Isn't that how BK's get that long slow burn--the smoldering cat? :lol:

I'd be careful on tossing too many wood pellets is your stove.I have on good advice here used a cup or 2 at most to burn a coal bed down. BUT ,I got curious today and threw about 5 cups on a coal bed raked to the stoves front. I had a huge explosion in the stove a big fireball and a minute amount of smoke came from the stove.Hope I didn't damage anything,but learned a lesson more is NOT better.It did burn the bed down and I got another hour of burn time from the coal bed,but got similar results with no explosions using the smaller amount.

GAMMA RAY said:
I"ll bet that bag of pellets was thrown in at 12:15 am..... :lol:
Just a feeling... :smirk:

Tell us Smokey how it worked out...

guilty as charged, right after I hit "Submit Post"

I should have read the reply first... that said "Put em in in small amounts"

Status
Not open for further replies.